Rampton - Cambridgeshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 17.491 E 000° 05.466
31U E 301623 N 5797447
Quick Description: Village sign on a small green in the village of Rampton. It also serves as a war memorial.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/28/2019 12:58:37 PM
Waymark Code: WM11PTN
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bill&ben
Views: 1

Long Description:
Village sign on a small green in the village of Rampton. It also serves as a war memorial.

The sign is in 4 quarters with images depicting scenes from the village - A thatched cottage, All Saints' church, some rams on the green, and a rural harvest scene.

"Rampton is a village in Cambridgeshire, England. Situated on the edge of The Fens six miles to the north of Cambridge, it is a relatively small village of only around 400 people but has a thriving community.

The edge of the Fens were well-populated during Roman times and Rampton was no exception. The settlement apparently vanished after the Roman era and reappeared around the area of the present church in Anglo Saxon times. The earthwork remains of a castle, known as Giant's Hill, are located to the east of the village by the church. Construction of the castle began during The Anarchy circa 1140, but was likely never completed.

Rampton has always been one of the smallest of the area's villages along the edge of the Fens. The Domesday Book listed 19 tenants, and there were only 31 families in 1563 and 39 households in 1664. At the time of the first census in 1801 there were 162 inhabitants, rising to 220 in 1821 and 250 in 1871 but dropping to under 180 in 1901. After slow growth to 221 by 1951, its growth mirrored that of neighbouring villages in rising to 355 in 1981 and 440 in 2001.

The origin of the name is unclear but may well simply come from "ram tun" or "village of the ram".

The village is home to an annual horse show (first Saturday in September), which is celebrated locally as an authentic traditional style show, with Gymkhana and all. Other village events include an annual Fayre on the village green in the summer, village revue/pantomime with dinner provided free by the Rampton '77 Committee for all villagers over the age of sixty.

For centuries an annual Rampton Feast was held on the Sunday before 15 July, moving to the Sunday after Trinity by the start of the 20th century, but dying away until revived in 1977.

Rampton has one public house, The Black Horse, that opened around 1850. Former pubs include The Chequers that was open by 1765 and closed in 1917, and The Fox and Hounds by the Willingham road close to the parish boundary that was open for little more than a decade from around 1880."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Location: The Green, Rampton

Plaque: no

Construction Material: Wood

Web Address: [Web Link]

Sign Date: Not listed

Occasion Commemorated: Not listed

Artist: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit, a photograph of yourself or your GPSr by the village sign is required. Some description of your visit would be welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Pictorial Village Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.