Former site of Whitehall Plantation (KC-123) - Smyrna, DE
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe
N 39° 15.498 W 075° 28.674
18S E 458768 N 4345549
Quick Description: Former site of Whitehall Plantation once owned by the Chew family, contained over 400 acres of land and was worked solely by enslaved labor.
Location: Delaware, United States
Date Posted: 11/12/2019 7:59:59 AM
Waymark Code: WM11MC0
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Ernmark
Views: 2

Long Description:
Former site of Whitehall Plantation once owned by the Chew family, contained over 400 acres of land and was worked solely by enslaved labor. Among those enslaved was Richard Allen who was born here and later founded the African Methodist Episcopal Church. By 1798 Benjamin Chew’s records indicate that he enslaved 42 men and women, making Whitehall the largest plantation worked by enslaved labor in Delaware and Chew the largest enslaver in the state. Unwilling to free his captives and incur a loss of profit, Chew sold Whitehall and stipulated that those enslaved be a part of the sale. George Kennard purchased Whitehall in 1803 and shortly thereafter freed the enslaved men and women.

Erected 2017 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number K-123.)

The marker is located at the entrance to Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge at 2610 Whitehall Neck Road, Smyrna DE 19977.
Visit Instructions:
Please include a picture of the sign with your GPS in the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Delaware Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.