Collégiale Saint Agricol - Avignon, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 56.932 E 004° 48.253
31T E 644776 N 4867776
Quick Description: La Collégiale Saint-Agricol d'Avignon est une église bâtie au viie siècle par saint Agricol. Elle est située à Avignon et fut élevée au rang de collégiale par Jean XXII en 1321. L'édifice est classé au titre des monuments historiques en 1980
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 10/26/2019 10:43:21 AM
Waymark Code: WM11HCG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 4

Long Description:
FR La tradition attribue à saint Agricol, évêque d'Avignon entre 660 et 700, la construction d'une église à cet emplacement. Des fouilles au pied de la Collégiale ont d'ailleurs mis au jour des sépultures de cette époque, ainsi que des structures antiques. Après les ravages des Sarrasins, l'église est rebâtie par l'évêque Foulques II.

En 1321, le pape Jean XXII l'érige en collégiale, et finance une partie des travaux d'agrandissement.

Au xve siècle, de nombreux travaux aménagement y sont apportés :

La nef est allongée, ce qui entraine l'annexion de la chapelle de l’Aumône de la Petite Fusterie (datant de 1391).
Construction de la façade actuelle
Construction du parvis et de l'escalier.
Après la Révolution française, la collégiale est restaurée en 1802, par l'évêque, qui la consacre cathédrale, en attendant la réhabilitation de la Cathédrale Notre-Dame des Doms d'Avignon.

La façade
La façade est une création conjointe de 3 personnes : Antoine Colin de Lyon, Didier Millot de Toul et Antoine Carteron de Bourges. Le tympan, au-dessus du portail principal, est une œuvre polychrome du sculpteur lorrain Ferrier Bernard et date de 1488 - 1489.

Clocher de Saint-Agricol
Simple tour carrée, le clocher est commencé en 1537 mais n'est achevé que de 1737 à 1746 lorsqu'il est rehaussé de deux étages par l'architecte avignonnais Joseph-Abel Mottard. Il a été restauré en 2012.

Fonts Baptismaux
Les nefs latérales sont bordées de chapelles :
* Chapelle des "Pauvres Femmes", dont la construction fut financée par la famille Grilhet, en 1547; on y trouve le monument funéraire des Grilhet, et un autel en marbre polychrome avec deux anges adorateurs tous trois dus au ciseau de Jean-Baptiste II Péru.
* Chapelle du Purgatoire, qui porta d'abord le nom de Notre-Dame de Lorette. Pompée Catelina, originaire de la ville de Réati en Italie, commandant de l'infanterie pontificale pour la ville d'Avignon et le Comtat Venaissin, mort en 1613 et fondateur des Pénitents noirs de la Miséricorde, y est enterré.
* Chapelle Saint-Joseph,
* Chapelle Sainte-Barbe, siège en 1650 de la confrérie du Saint-Sacrement dont les membres avaient en charge la Fabrique de la collégiale.
* Chapelle Saint-Michel,
* La Chapelle Sainte-Apollonie, ou des fonts baptismaux aujourd'hui, date de 1485 peu après l'agrandissement de l'église et reçut la dépouille de Jean de Chabert de Barbentane qui finança en partie la nouvelle façade extérieure. Les fonts baptismaux, en marbre, aux armes de saint Agricol (Cigogne et Serpent), sont une œuvre de Mariotty (1847),
* Chapelle Sainte-Anne, construite en 1851
* Chapelle de la Vierge, dite de Brantes, édifiée entre 1703 et 1707 sur les plans et sous la maîtrise d’œuvre de Jean Péru pour le compte de Pierre II de Bianco, marquis de Brantes, pour l'adoration du Saint-Sacrement; elle abrite, face à face, 2 tombeaux de la famille de Brantes pour Pierre Ier et Alexandre de Bianco, nobles florentins tous deux intendants du Trésor militaire et de la Porte du palais apostolique (grand-père et père de Pierre II), et trois statues remarquables : au centre sur l'autel une Vierge à l'Enfant d'Antoine Coysevox et sur chaque monument funéraire une sainte Élisabeth et un saint Jean-Baptiste dus à Jean Péru.
* Chapelle du Saint-Crucifix, appelée dans un premier temps Notre-Dame de Pitié, puis Saint-Lazare,
* Chapelle Saint-Agricol
EN Tradition attributes to Saint Agricol, Bishop of Avignon between 660 and 700, the construction of a church on this site. Excavations at the foot of the Collegiate Church have uncovered graves from this period, as well as ancient structures. After the ravages of the Saracens, the church was rebuilt by Bishop Coots II.

In 1321, Pope John XXII erected it as a collegiate church and financed part of the expansion work.

In the 15th century, many development works were carried out:

The nave is elongated, which leads to the annexation of the chapel of the Aumône de la Petite Fusterie (dating from 1391).
Construction of the current facade
Construction of the square and staircase.
After the French Revolution, the collegiate church was restored in 1802 by the bishop, who consecrated it a cathedral, pending the rehabilitation of the Cathedral of Notre-Dame des Doms in Avignon.

The facade
The façade is a joint creation of 3 people: Antoine Colin from Lyon, Didier Millot from Toul and Antoine Carteron from Bourges. The tympanum, above the main gate, is a polychrome work by the Lorraine sculptor Ferrier Bernard and dates from 1488 - 1489.

Saint-Agricol bell tower
A simple square tower, the bell tower was begun in 1537 but was only completed between 1737 and 1746 when it was raised by two floors by the Avignon architect Joseph-Abel Mottard. It was restored in 2012.

>Baptismal Bridges
The side naves are lined with chapels:
* Chapel of the "Poor Women", the construction of which was financed by the Grilhet family in 1547; there is the Grilhet funeral monument, and a polychrome marble altar with two worshipping angels, all three of which were made by the chisel of John Baptist II Peru.
* Chapel of Purgatory, which first bore the name of Notre-Dame de Lorette. Pompey Catelina, originally from the city of Reati in Italy, commander of the pontifical infantry for the city of Avignon and the Comtat Venaissin, who died in 1613 and founded the Black Penitents of Mercy, is buried there.
* Saint-Joseph Chapel,
* Chapel of Saint Barbara, seat in 1650 of the brotherhood of the Blessed Sacrament whose members were in charge of the Fabrique de la collégiale.
* Chapelle Saint-Michel,
* The Chapelle Sainte-Apollonie, or baptismal font today, dates from 1485 shortly after the extension of the church and received the remains of Jean de Chabert de Barbentane who partially financed the new exterior façade. The baptismal font, in marble, with the arms of Saint Agricol (Stork and Serpent), is a work of Mariotty (1847),
* Chapelle Sainte-Anne, built in 1851
* Chapel of the Virgin Mary, known as the Chapel of Brantes, built between 1703 and 1707 on the plans and under the supervision of Jean Péru on behalf of Peter II of Bianco, Marquis of Brantes, for the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament; it houses, face to face, 2 tombs of the family of Brantes for Peter I and Alexander of Bianco, noble Florentines both stewards of the Military Treasury and the Door to the Apostolic Palace (grandfather and father of Peter II), and three remarkable statues: at the centre on the altar a Virgin and Child of Antoine Coysevox and on each funeral monument a Saint Elizabeth and a Saint John the Baptist due to John Peru.
* Chapel of the Holy Crucifix, first called Notre-Dame de Pitié, then Saint-Lazare,
* Chapel Saint-Agricol


Source : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coll%C3%A9giale_Saint-Agricol_d%27Avignon
Qui a placé ce repère historique ? / Who placed this historical marker ?:
City hall


Date de placement / Date of establishment: Unknow

Site internet / Internet Website: [Web Link]

Eléments cryptés / Encrypted elements: Not listed

Conditions de visite alternatives / Alternative visit requirements: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[FR] Une preuve de votre visite est demandée. Joignez à votre log une photo du repère historique et culturel ou répondez à la question alternative proposée par l'owner quand elle existe (si vous ne pouvez joindre de photo).
[ENG] A proof of your visit is needed. Join a picture from the historical and cultural marker to your log or respond to the alternative question proposed by owner if available (if you can't provide a picture).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Histoires de France (French historical markers)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.