vitraux Eglise Saint Pierre - Laruns Nouvelle Aquitaine,France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 42° 59.301 W 000° 25.618
30T E 709768 N 4762733
Quick Description: In the town center. Dans le centre ville.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 10/3/2019 12:30:15 AM
Waymark Code: WM11DKV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 3

Long Description:
Source Bernard Cauhape:
Inaugurated in 1899, it replaced an older building of the sixteenth century which one can imagine the finesse and beauty of the portal that has remained but now adorns the facade of Castle Castet-Gélos, near Louvie Juzon , on the way that goes up to the church of this locality. This gate, made of local marble, is especially remarkable for the elegant foliage scrolls and pilasters with rosettes which frame the moldings of its bow in basket handle and its piers with small polygonal bases.

Several ancient vestiges remain in the rebuilt church, on the left when entering, the holy water font which is classified since 1907, and at the bottom of the choir the two bells (classified in 1906)
The benitier has retained motifs of Romanesque sculpture, although it is actually a work of the very late Middle Ages: it is the most remarkable Benedier Bearn and certainly one of the most beautiful of France. It is a white marble basin on a circular pedestal; this work, which is no less than one meter in diameter, is adorned externally on one half of the interlacing surface and the inscription in JHS Gothic characters, all of excellent workmanship; but it is inside that are the most beautiful carved motifs: a centaur archery (sagittarius), a mermaid raising with one hand a huge fish, and on the other his big tail; two other fish including a trout, one at the bottom of the basin, the other on the rim complete this decoration in high relief, technique and a remarkable conversation. Although the intertwining is Romanesque, the same are found on the portal of the Church of Assouste dating from the twelfth century with the inscription JHS. (Jesus Savior of Men), in Gothic characters, is reminiscent of a reshape at the end of the Middle Ages.

This holy water probably served as baptismal font. The sculptures dominated by the trout fish of the country and the silhouette of a dolphin at the bottom of the bowl designate Christ. The first Christians had noticed, in fact, that every letter that composes in Greek the word fish (ICHTHUS) sums up this profession of faith:
Jesus Chritos Theou Uos take away Jesus son of God, our savior.

As for the mermaid who holds a fish and the sagittarius archery, they could symbolize the triumph of Christ submerging in the waters of baptism the world of the false gods that the ancients imagined spread in water, air and water. earth ... The work is in white marble of Louvie-Soubiron, marble that connoisseurs do not hesitate to compare to that of Carrara.

2 bells (classified in 1906) the oldest is dated 1465 (under the reign of Louis XI in France, and Gaston XI in Béarn). It bears in Gothic characters formulas of prayers against the plagues, extracted from the office of St. Barbara: It was the bell of the tocsins. The other is dated 1610 time of the tragic end of the reign of Henry IV. She sang to the glory of St. Peter, patron saint of the parish, whose Latin invocation she wears: Sancte Petre Ora Pro Nobis (St. Peter pray for us)

Source Bernard Cauhape :
Inaugurée en 1899, elle a remplacé un édifice plus ancien du XVI eme siècle dont on peut imaginer la finesse et la beauté par le portail qui en est resté mais qui orne aujourd'hui la façade du château de Castet-Gélos, près de Louvie Juzon, sur le chemin qui monte à l'église de cette localité. Ce portail, en marbre du pays, est surtout remarquable par les élégants rinceaux de feuillage et les pilastres à rosaces qui encadrent les moulures de son arc en anse de panier et de ses piédroits à petites bases polygonales.

Plusieurs vestiges anciens subsistent dans l'église refaite, à gauche en entrant, le bénitier qui est classé depuis 1907, et au fond du chœur les deux cloches (classées en 1906)
Le benitier a conservé des motifs de la sculture romane, bien qu'il s'agisse en réalité d'un travail de l'extrême fin du Moyen âge : il s'agit du plus remarquable des Bénitiers béarnais et certainement l'un des plus beaux de France. Il s'agit d'une vasque en marbre blanc sur un piédestal circulaire; cette œuvre qui n'a pas moins d'un mètre de de diamètre, est ornée, extérieurement sur une moitié de la surface d'entrelacs et de l'inscription en caractères gothiques JHS, le tout d'une facture excellente; mais c'est à l'intérieur que se trouvent les plus beaux motifs sculptés : un centaure tirant à l'arc (sagittaire), une sirène élevant d'une main un énorme poisson, et de l'autre sa grosse queue; deux autres poissons dont une truite, l'un au fond de la vasque, l'autre sur le rebord complètent cette décoration en fort relief, d'une technique et d'une conversation remarquables. Quoique les entrelacs soient de facture romane, les mêmes se retrouvent sur le portail de l'église d'Assouste datant du XII eme siecle avec l innscription JHS. (Jésus Sauveur des Hommes), en caractères gothiques, fait penser à un remaniement à la fin du Moyen-Age.

Ce bénitier servit probablement de font baptismaux. Les sculptures où domine le poisson truite du pays et la silhouette d'un dauphin au fond de la vasque désignent le Christ. Les premiers chrétiens avaient remarqué, en effet, que chaque lettre qui compose en grec le mot poisson (ICHTHUS) résume cette profession de foi :
Jesus Chritos Theou Uos ôter jésus fils de Dieu, notre sauveur.

Quand à la sirène qui tient un poisson et le sagittaire tirant à l'arc, ils pourraient symboliser le triomphe du Christ submergeant dans les eaux du baptême le monde des faux dieux que les anciens imaginaient répandus dans l'eau, l'air et la terre... L'ouvrage est en marbre blanc de Louvie-Soubiron, marbre que les connaisseurs n'hésitent pas à comparer à celui de Carrare.

2 cloches (classées en 1906) la plus ancienne est datée de 1465 (sous le règne de Louis XI en France, et de Gaston XI en Béarn). Elle porte en caractères gothiques des formules de prières contre les fléaux, extraites de l'office de Ste barbe : C'était la cloche des tocsins. L'autre est datée de 1610 époque de la fin tragique du règne d'Henri IV. Elle sonnait à la gloire de St Pierre, patron de la paroisse, dont elle porte l'invocation latine : Sancte Petre Ora Pro Nobis (St Pierre prie pour nous)

source Bernard Cauhape :
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
3 rue du Bialé
Laruns, Nouvelle Aquitaine France
64440


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: tous les jours

Hours of Operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 6:00 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited vitraux Eglise Saint Pierre - Laruns Nouvelle Aquitaine,France 1/5/2020 sara et gege visited it