St. Andrew's Anglican Church Lychgate - Grimsby, ON
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Bon Echo
N 43° 11.587 W 079° 34.223
17T E 616161 N 4783252
Quick Description: Lychgate at one of the oldest church buildings in Ontario
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 10:03:51 AM
Waymark Code: WM11811
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 2

Long Description:

Although the Anglican congregation at "The Forty" (today known as the Town of Grimsby) dates back to 1794, the current church building is actually the third building at this location, constructed in 1825. One source claims that it is the oldest church in the Niagara Peninsula.

The lychgate stands prominently in from of the church. Constructed of wood supported on a field-stone and cement wall, it was likely constructed in or shortly after 1914 with funds of "one-hundred dollars or more" provide by Linus Woolverton upon his death in 1914. (Information sourced from canadianheritagematters.weebly.com)

A photograph taken in 1953 shows that the lychgate as it current stands remains very much the same as it did over 65 years ago and presumably has been unaltered from it's original form.

Year: 1914

Address:
7 St Andrews Ave, Grimsby, ON L3M 3R9


Link to Church or Cemetery: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Include at least one photo of the lychgate or Depositoire taken by yourself. A short description of, or comment on, your visit is required, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lychgates and Depositories
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.