Visitor Center - Cedar Breaks National Monument, Utah
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 36.779 W 112° 50.249
12S E 337822 N 4164463
Quick Description: This one-story log constructed building is located at the Point Supreme Overlook near the southern entrance to Cedar Breaks National Monument.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 5:11:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM11809
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wayfrog
Views: 3

Long Description:
The Visitor Center, Cedar Breaks National Monument, is located off Rim Road in the southeast corner of the monument. The building is a focal point for viewing the multi-colored amphitheater which is slowly being formed from the western edge of the rolling green alpine meadow.

Built in 1937 as a Civilian Conservation Corps project, the rustic style building is harmonious with the natural setting and retains its architectural and historical integrity.

The one-story,-2-room feetangular shape-building has 606 square-feet with a 150 square foot covered porch. The log constructed building is on a stone masonry foundation. The walls are brown painted peeled log with saddlenotched corners and buttressed log crowning. A battered stone masonry chimney with a 12 foot base is on the east end. The wood shingled gable roof has exposed peeled log rafters and purlins. The porch columns are large peeled logs and the porch has a flagstone floor. A 29' x 6'6" porch addition was constructed in 1954. The porch extends the length of the north elevation. Both the porch and south elevations have plate glass windows. These windows replaced the original 6 light casement sash windows. During the 1954 renovation, a closet at the southeast corner of the building was converted into an office. These changes have not lessened the integrity of the building in conveying the expression of architectural design and construction technology. The building retains the essential physical features that makes it a good example of peeled log and stone construction for park buildings of the 1930's. The building is on its original location; it is in poor condition. The building is currently being used as the visitor center and museum, however, a larger facility is needed to meet visitor demands.

- National Register Application



The Visitor Center was constructed in 1937 by the CCC. It was built and designed to resemble the classic National Park Service rustic architecture. The building since its construction has been and continues to be used as the Visitor Center for the monument. It is listed under the National Register of Historic Places. Make sure to stop and check it out during your visit.

- Cedar Breaks National Monument (NPS) website



The Visitor Center at Cedar Breaks National Monument was built in 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the National Park Service Rustic style. The visitor center is located on the rim of the Cedar Breaks amphitheater, overlooking the stone rock formations. It was constructed of peeled logs with dramatically extended ends, cut to a tapered buttress shape. A large, battered stone chimney at one end echoes the log detailing. The roof is covered by cedar shakes, with extended log purlin ends.

The cabin has two rooms on 606 square feet (65 m2) with an attached porch. The porch is inset into the front facade, covered by an inset shed roof.

The Cedar Breaks Caretaker's Cabin was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 4, 1983. The nearby Cedar Breaks National Monument Caretaker's Cabin was built to a similar design by the same CCC crew from the Zion CCC camp.

- Cedar Breaks National Monument Wikipedia entry



Visit Instructions:
Logs must include picture of person with GPS'r in hand with the waymark and log of experience and any additional things learned about the waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civilian Conservation Corps
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.