Chemistry Bridge - Whitchurch Branch Canal - Whitchurch, Shropshire, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 52° 58.155 W 002° 41.977
30U E 520172 N 5868892
Quick Description: This arch bridge is known as Chemistry Bridge and is located at the end of the Shropshire Union Canal (Llangollen Canal - Whitchurch Branch).
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/21/2019 11:39:28 AM
Waymark Code: WM1104A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 5

Long Description:
Chemistry Bridge was formerly a canal bridge on the Whitchurch Arm of the Llangollen branch of the Shropshire Union Canal, the canal now terminates just to the west of the bridge.

It is a brick built, arch bridge which takes a minor road and the Sandstone Trail over the former canal.

"Whitchurch Arm
(1.5 miles, Canal in different ownerships, but line of new canal available to Whitchurch Waterway Trust)
Although parts of the line of the original arm into Whitchurch have been built over and are no longer available, the Whitchurch Waterway Trust promotes the construction of a new waterway into the town. A short section of original canal has been reopened and the Trust maintains permanent and visitor moorings. Chemistry Bridge, owned by the Trust, has been restored and re-opened to pedestrians. This footpath links the towpath to the town via a new country park and is now part of the Sandstone Trail. Planning permission has been obtained to extend the canal a short distance towards the town of Whitchurch, terminating in a new basin, which does not preclude eventual further extension." SOURCE: (visit link)

"Canals started to become important in the eighteenth century because the newly developing industries needed an economic and reliable way of transporting their goods in large quantities. By the nineteenth century, large systems of canals linking various parts of the country had been developed, including a proposal to use canals to link the coal mining area of Ruabon in North Wales to the Mersey in the north and the Severn in the south.
This was never completed, but a link was constructed between Nantwich and Llangollen. Unfortunately the closest this came to Whitchurch was over a mile away from the town centre.
In 1805, a group of Whitchurch businessmen approached the canal company for permission to extend the canal into the centre of Whitchurch. This was granted, and the canal was extended via an arm into Whitchurch, firstly to Sherryman’s Bridge (the area to the north of Jubilee Park) in 1808, and then further into the town to the Wharf (adjacent to Park Road and Mill Street) by 1811.
The then Earl of Bridgewater gave the land which became the canal basin where the warehouses and toll-house were built, and which gave enough space for the canal boats to turn.
Heavy goods such as coal, lime and iron were brought in, and led to the formation of a gas company based down at the bottom of Sherrymill Hill, which provided gas to Whitchurch until natural gas was piped in. In the opposite direction, cheese, boots and shoes were shipped out.
To encourage the development of trade and industry, a four-storey steam-powered corn mill was build at the end of the Arm, which is now the restaurant ‘Rendezvous at the Park’. In addition, a canal side silk mill was constructed at Sherryman’s Hill.
To make room for the wharf area at the end of the canal, the Town Mill was pulled down, and the Mill pond, which was behind it was gradually filled in with rubbish and then grassed over. This became the White Lion meadow and today is the car park by Tesco.
By 1939, all traffic on this section of the Llangollen canal and the arm into Whitchurch had ceased, and they were closed to navigation. The Whitchurch Arm was infilled and partly built on. However, in 1993 after a concerted effort by Whitchurch Town Council and dedicated volunteers, part of the Arm was reopened, linking it again to the tourist traffic on the Llangollen Canal. It is hoped that in the future it will be possible to bring the Arm further into Whitchurch."
SOURCE: (visit link)

"Chemistry Bridge is a place on the waterways at the end of the Shropshire Union Canal (Llangollen Canal - Whitchurch Branch); past Whitchurch Branch Junction (Junction of Whitchurch Branch with Llangollen Canal) (2 furlongs to the west).
The nearest place in the direction of Whitchurch Branch Junction is Whitchurch Branch Winding hole; ¾ furlongs away.
There is no access to the towpath here.
Mooring here is excellent (this is a really good mooring) , mooring rings or bollards are available. Mooring is limited to 48 hours. Moorings between winding hole and end of navigation. Winding before mooring is advised." (visit link)
What type of traffic does this bridge support?: minor road

What kind of gap does this bridge cross?:
Whitchurch Branch canal at the end of the Shropshire Union Canal (Llangollen Canal - Whitchurch Branch);


Date constructed: 1807

Is the bridge still in service for its original purpose?: Yes

Name of road or trail the bridge services: unnamed minor road

Location:
Whitchurch, Shropshire


Length of bridge: Not listed

Height of bridge: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please submit a photo(s) taken by you of your visit to the location (non-copyrighted photos only). GPS photos are also accepted with the location in the background, and old vacation photos are accepted. If you are not able to provide a photo, then please describe your visit or give a story about the visit. If the bridge location prevents you from taking a safe photograph, then please do not stop to take the photo. Safety is more important.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Arch Bridges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Mike_bjm visited Chemistry Bridge - Whitchurch Branch Canal  -  Whitchurch, Shropshire, UK. 6/28/2019 Mike_bjm visited it