Former Christ Church Anglican - Pouce Coupe, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 55° 42.830 W 120° 08.047
10U E 680029 N 6177952
Quick Description: In the late 1920s-early 1930s two churches were built in Pouce Coupe, cater corner across the intersection from each other.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 7/13/2019 5:18:56 PM
Waymark Code: WM10YQF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 1

Long Description:
This seems to be the second of the two, erected in 1932, its partner the United Church built three years earlier, in 1929. Both are Gothic Revival in style, but this building looks much more like a Gothic Revival church in that it has a bell tower, the United Church has no tower. The bell in the tower was donated by a Mr. McArthur, president and owner of the then Edmonton, Dunvegan and British Columbia Railway, later absorbed by the Northern Alberta Railway.

With Gothic arched windows and bell tower vents, this church could easily pass for being much older than 90 years. It has a large(ish) narthex at the front which surrounds the small(ish) bell tower protruding from its gable roof. The octagonal tower is completed by an octagonal spire with flared eaves, which, in turn, is completed by the obligatory wooden cross. At the other end of the nave is a chancel or altar extending out, with a small transept. The transept has a four panel wood door and a glass filled Gothic transom with tracery, suggesting it is original to the building. The eaves of each section of the building are flared identically, which again suggests that all the present parts of the building may well be original.

As we are all aware, money was a scarce commodity in 1932, yet, not long after the church was built the mortgage was paid off. This came about primarily through the ongoing efforts of the women of the church, secondarily from aid from the Church of England. Remaining Christ Church Anglican until very recently, this is now the home of the South Peace Bible Missionary Church, which had previously occupied the United Church building across the intersection.

Christ Church Anglican
The corner stone of Christ Church Anglican or ‘Christ’s Anglican Church’ as it was referred to at times in its early days, was laid by Bishop Rix in 1932. Cannon Proctor was in charge of the Anglican Church in that large area known as the Peace River Block — that part of it south of the Peace River — and it was entirely due to his efforts and encouragement that the church was built.

Here I would like, respectfully, to correct a statement made at the Synod held in Dawson Creek in 1960. It was stated, incorrectly, that Christ Church was an outright gift from friends in England. For many years a very active W. A. had been working toward this end and by means of chicken suppers, bake sales, garden teas, donations and sales of work had a considerable sum tucked away in the Bank of Commerce.

Through Canon Proctor’s connections with England, Church of England members in Harrowgate came generously to our aid when we were ready to build. With the further help of a mortgage the building was erected.

The W. A. had to keep up, or more truly to increase, their efforts until at last — at a chicken supper in the basement hall — with great joy and style Canon Proctor burnt the Mortgage Deed in the church furnace. All was paid up!

The Font, fashioned from Peace River stone, was given by Mr. and Mrs. Hoffstrom of Taylor Flats when the Church at Rolla, which it originally graced, was moved out of the diocese. The Bell was a gift from Mr. McArthur, president of the then E. D. & B. C. Railway. The modern Dorsal Hangings were worked by a member of Christ Church Guild. Some kneelers are already in use and others are in process of being done in petit point. They depict local wild flowers and fruits. A very special kneeler is being embroidered for the use of the Bishop in the Sanctuary. The motifs are angels, which were the subject of Bishop Munn’s first sermon in our Church. A long petit point kneeler at the Altar rail is inscribed with the names of all the bishops and rectors up to and including 1955.

The beautiful brass Alms dish was presented by Christ Church Guild on the occasion of the Anniversary Service in 1957. On the altar stand two handsome brass candlesticks, the gift of Mrs. Cunliffe, for some years president of the Guild.

One altar fontal of much beauty and interest is made of cloth of gold and silver, bought in Jerusalem when General Allenby entered the Holy City toward the close of the First Great War.

The Font, fashioned from Peace River stone, was given by Mr. and Mrs. Hoffstrom of Taylor Flats when the Church at Rolla, which it originally graced, was moved out of the diocese. The Bell was a gift from Mr. McArthur, president of the then E. D. & B. C. Railway.

The modern Dorsal Hangings were worked by a member of Christ Church Guild. Some kneelers are already in use and others are in process of being done in petit point. They depict local wild flowers and fruits. A very special kneeler is being embroidered for the use of the Bishop in the Sanctuary. The motifs are angels, which were the subject of Bishop Munn’s first sermon in our Church. A long petit point kneeler at the Altar rail is inscribed with the names of all the bishops and rectors up to and including 1955.

The beautiful brass Alms dish was presented by Christ Church Guild on the occasion of the Anniversary Service in 1957. On the altar stand two handsome brass candlesticks, the gift of Mrs. Cunliffe, for some years president of the Guild.

One altar fontal of much beauty and interest is made of cloth of gold and silver, bought in Jerusalem when General Allenby entered the Holy City toward the close of the First Great War.
From the South Peace Historical Society

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Public/Private: Public

Tours Available?: Possibly

Year Built: 1929

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.