Altar of Caesar - Roma, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member denben
N 41° 53.528 E 012° 29.161
33T E 291439 N 4640855
Quick Description: This historical marker is erected on the Temple of Caesar, an ancient structure in the Roman Forum of Rome, Italy, located near the Regia and the Temple of Vesta.
Location: Italy
Date Posted: 7/10/2019 8:10:16 AM
Waymark Code: WM10Y72
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
The inscription reads:

"Ara di Cesare
...deposero (là spoglia di Cesare) nel Foro, la dove è l'antica reggia dei Romani, e vi accumularono sopra tavole, sedili e quanto altro legname era lì...accesero il fuoco e tutto il popolo assistette al rogo durante la notte. In quel luogo venne eretta dapprima un'ara, ora vi é il tempio dello stesso Cesare, nel quale egli é onorato come un dio
Appiano de Bello Civ II 148"

Translation

"Altar of Caesar
...they placed Caesar’s body again in the Forum where in ancient times stood the palace of the kings of Rome. There they collected together sticks of wood and benches, of which there were many in the Forum, and anything else they could find of that sort, for a funeral pile. Then they set fire to it, and the entire people remained by the funeral pile throughout the night. There an altar was first erected, but now there stands the Temple of Caesar himself, as he was deemed worthy of divine honors
Appian, The Civil Wars, Book II, Section 148"

Caesar was the first Roman to be deified after his death, and consequently honored with a temple, after the mythical founder Romulus.

Caesar was killed in a session of the Senate held in the Curia Pompeia in the Campus Martius. His body was then transported to the Forum, near the Regia, which was the official seat of the maximum pontiff, a position held by the dictator. In this place, at the eastern end of the Piazza del Foro, an improvised funeral pyre was lit for the cremation and his funeral took place. Here an altar was erected, flanked by an ancient yellow marble column with the inscription Parenti Patriae ("to the father of the fatherland"), immediately eliminated by the consul Publius Cornelio Dolabella.

The construction of the temple was decreed by the Senate, at the initiative of the triumvirate in 42 BC, after the battle of Philippi in which they were defeated and killed the Assassination of Julius Caesar. A flamen maior priest had been attributed to the cult of Caesar already shortly after 44 BC and Marco Antonio was the first to hold this office.

The building was actually built by Ottaviano, the adopted son of Caesar, and dedicated on 18 August of 29 BC. For the works, the street that bounded the square on the eastern side was moved beyond the temple and a previous construction of which have been seen the foundations, in blocks of Grottaoscura tuff, attributable to the end of the republican age, of unknown identification. The dedication ceremony took place three days after the triumph that Octavian had celebrated for Actium's victory over the Egypt of Cleopatra and precious works of the booty won on that occasion were kept in the temple.

The remains of the building were released on the occasion of the overall unveiling of the Roman Forum in 1872. Other excavations were conducted in 1888, in 1898-1899 ( Giacomo Boni ) and again in 1950.

On the front side of the podium, which preserves in some places the crowning and the plinth in Luni marble, there is a semicircular exedra, covered in blocks of tuff of the Aniene and of peperino, within which there is a small circular cement element, identifiable as an altar: it is probably the reconstruction by Ottaviano, perhaps in the years 37-34 BC, of the altar erected after the death of Caesar in 44 BC and immediately eliminated. At the time of construction of the temple, the altar was realized with the opening of the exedra (uncovered semicircular space) on the front of the podium.

On the altar, now visible behind the partial reconstruction of the closing wall, flowers are regularly placed by visitors.

Source: Wikipedia (visit link)
Group that erected the marker: Municipio Rome I Rione Campitelli

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
Via Sacra, Roman Forum
Roma, Italy
00186


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.