Old Bartow County Courthouse - Cartersville, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 34° 10.031 W 084° 47.752
16S E 703165 N 3782888
Quick Description: When courthouse was burned down in Cassville in 1864, citizens there refused to rebuild. County seat moved to Cartersville, county re-named Bartow from Cass...and this courthouse built. Used from 1869 to 1903.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 6/27/2019 8:59:10 AM
Waymark Code: WM10VHX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 2

Long Description:

County of courthouse: Bartow County
Location of courthouse: 4 E. Church St., (under bridge), Cartersville
Year built: 1869
Architects: Fay and Corput
Architectural Style: Italianate

"Old Bartow County Courthouse/"Original" 1869 Courthouse, 4 E. Church Street ( 1869)

"Before the Civil War, the county seat of then-Cass County was Cassville. During the Civil War, the county was renamed Bartow County to honor a fallen Civil War veteran. In May 1864, General William T. Sherman's troops burned Cassville, and its citizens declined to rebuild the courthouse. By an act of the Georgia legislature in 1866, the question of the new county seat was addressed. A referendum was held, and Cartersville was chosen over Cassville. In 1867, at a cost of $20,000 dollars, construction began for a new Bartow County courthouse on Church Street in Cartersville and the building was completed in 1869 (photographs 13 and 14 ). The two-story rectangular-shaped building has an unpainted red-brick exterior. It has tall, narrow, windows similar to other institutional and commercial buildings of the period. The roof is slightly pitched. It is one of the few courthouses in Georgia to exhibit the Italianate style, and it is also a rare Reconstruction-era public work. The building was used as a courthouse from 1869 to 1903, when the new "Gold Dome" Courthouse opened just west of the downtown square at the corner of Cherokee Avenue and Erwin Street. From 1903 to approximately 1980, the 1869 courthouse building was used for a variety of commercial enterprises. For several years in the early 1900s, Sanborn Fire Insurance maps and photographs show that it was used as a grocery and bulk warehouse. Later, it was used as a roller skating rink. Images from the 1950s show that it was a furniture store. From approximately 1980 to 2010, the building was vacant. In 2010, the City of Cartersville renovated the building for use as the Bartow History Museum. This building was originally listed in the National Register in 1980, as part of the "County Courthouses of Georgia" thematic nomination." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Public/Private: Public

Tours Available?: Yes

Year Built: 1869

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.