Organ - Basilica of San Camillo de Lellis - Roma, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member denben
N 41° 54.419 E 012° 29.641
33T E 292151 N 4642485
Quick Description: San Camillo de Lellis is an early 20th century parish and titular church, and minor basilica located at 41 Via Piemonte in the Rione Sallustiano of Rome, Italy.
Location: Lazio, Italy
Date Posted: 6/17/2019 8:55:32 PM
Waymark Code: WM10RQB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team GPSaxophone
Views: 1

Long Description:
The church was built at the behest of Pope Pius X based on a design by the architect Tullio Passarelli. Construction began in 1906, and the first stone was laid by Cardinal Antonio Agliardi. Consecrated church and erected parish in 1910, it was entrusted to the regular clergy Ministers of the Sick, the order founded by Camillo de Lellis. In 1965, Pope Paul VI raised the church to the dignity of a minor basilica and at the same time created the cardinal title of San Camillo de Lellis in the Orti Sallustiani.

The basilica is in neo-Romanesque style with Gothic influences, with outside walls facing outside in red brick (with decorative stone elements) and inside integrally in travertine blocks. The plan is a Latin cross, with a transept not protruding from the aisles.

Inside, the hall consists of three naves divided by round arches resting on pillars with sculpted capitals, and covered with cross vaults. Beyond the transept, the main nave ends with a semicircular apse, in which five windows open on which are depicted Christ and the four evangelists; above the high altar, in a niche, is the statue of San Camillo, by Alberto Galli from 1911. Of the same sculptor is the bas-relief in the lunette of the door leading to the sacristy, which depicts Pius X observing the model of the church. On the sides of the central apse there are two smaller ones used as side chapels.

On the wooden choir of the counter-façade is the pipe organ, built in 1910-1911 by Carlo Vegezzi-Bossi (opus 1314) to a design by Filippo Capocci and donated by Margherita di Savoia. Since 1999, the instrument is transmitted electronically (instead of the original pneumatic system) and has 29 registers on two manuals and pedal.

Opening hours: Weekdays 8:30 to 11:45 and 17:00 to 18:45; Sundays 8:30 to 13:00, 18:00 to 20:00.

Source: Wikipedia (visit link)
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Musical Instruments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.