St Michael & All Angels - Church Broughton, Derbyshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 54.050 W 001° 41.777
30U E 587691 N 5862034
Quick Description: St Michael and All Angels’ Church is a Grade I listed parish church in Church Broughton.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/6/2019 12:34:53 PM
Waymark Code: WM10PC2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
"There has been a church on this spot for at least 900 years in the village of Church Broughton since at least the 14th century. The church stands at the heart of the village and is cherished by villagers. The church is proud to have a very popular and highly regarded church school whose pupils have close connections. The church itself is Grade 1 listed. The tower, which contains a ring of 6 bells, is topped by a small spire.

The first church was built in about 1100, the font and pillars of the nave remain from that period. There was major rebuilding in the 14th century, but this seems to have been interrupted by the Black Death in 1348-50. The east window is a fine example of the 'Decorated' style- it includes an 'orchestra' of angels playing various instruments.

In the south wall of the chancel is a small trefoil window set off-centre to a decorated style recess in the outer wall. This appears to be a 'sepulchral' recess perhaps intended as the resting place of the person who was meeting the cost of the 14th century rebuilding. It was apparently never used - so perhaps the individual concerned was a victim of the Black Death. In the same period, the nave roof was altered and clerestory windows installed. The former fall of the nave roof can still be seen on the east wall of the tower outside the church.

There were further alterations made in 1845 when the west gallery and north door were removed and the south porch constructed. At the same time the chancel arch was lowered (only to be raised again in 1886) The royal arms (of George IV) were set up in 1827.

The church has connections with the family of poet W H Auden, His uncle and nephew were successively vicars for the latter half of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th. The weathercock still bears the bullet holes allegedly inflicted by a high-spirited young member of the Auden family (possibly W H himself) who took a pot shot at it.

The wooden carving of St Michael in the sanctuary was made in Oberammagau and given by the Auden family."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.