1930 - First Methodist Church - Fort Worth, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member WalksfarTX
N 32° 45.131 W 097° 20.201
14S E 655821 N 3625039
Quick Description: Grey granite cornerstone on a buff brick building.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 6/4/2019 8:44:48 AM
Waymark Code: WM10NX6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
Marker Text:

In 1853, itinerant pastor John Wesley Chalk rode horseback throughout Tarrant County, preaching in houses and public spaces. The Fort Worth circuit's membership had grown to more than 450 people by 1873, and a lot was purchased at 4th and Jones Streets for the first Methodist church building in Fort Worth. Construction on the frame structure known as Fourth Street Methodist began on May 15, 1874. Membership outgrew the building, and in 1887, it was replaced by a single-story brick edifice. In 1908, the congregation, who by this time was known as First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, moved into a larger building on 7th and Taylor Streets, holding its formal opening on Mar. 8, 1908 in one of the most impressive church buildings in North Texas. The property was sold in 1928 and land was subsequently purchased at 800 West 5th Street. Plans for the building were drawn by W.G. Clarkson and Company, Architects, and on Oct. 29, 1929, the day of the worst stock market crash in U.S. history, ground was officially broken for the new church. On Oct. 30, 1930, members locked the doors of the old church and walked together to the new building.

The church is a Gothic Revival building, inspired by the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France, with a triple portal entrance, pier buttresses on the uneven corner towers, tall stained glass lancet windows, marble-filled arches on the front façade, and a three-story arrangement. The church’s mission to be God's people in the world is exemplified in its numerous programs including outreach to the city's homeless citizens since the early 1950s and the FUMC television ministry which began weekly broadcasts in March 1975.

Year of construction: 1960

Full inscription:
FIRST METHODIST CHURCH / 1854 / 1930 / ye are labourers together with God / ye are Gods builders

Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.