former Galena City Jail - Galena, Illinois
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 42° 24.950 W 090° 25.646
15T E 711667 N 4699153
Quick Description: The Old Market House is a two-story red brick Greek Revival building located at 123 North Commerce Street in Galena, Illinois. This building was the City Hall from 1910 to 1936 and contained the city lockup in the basement.
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 5/26/2019 6:56:56 PM
Waymark Code: WM10M74
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
The MARKET HOUSE, corner of Commerce and Troy Sts., remodeled for use as a city hall, is a Greek revival building erected in 1845 by Henry J. Stouffer. The two-story brick center section is surmounted by a square cupola, which contained offices and a meeting hall. On each side were the market stalls, one story high, with colonnades to shelter the customers. The flagged square on which it faces was the old public market, where all commodities were bought and sold, including slaves.

- Illinois: A Descriptive and Historical Guide, 1939 -- pg. 339



Built of red brick with stone lintels and wood trim and cornices. The central portion is two stories high, with the town council chamber on the second floor and offices below. The wings hold the large market halls, with colonnaded porches on both sides and a wide pedimented roof. The total effect is extremely interesting in its contrasts of color and of form, and even the cupola that crowns it has a definite individuality in the handling of the pedimentlike parapets with corner acroteria and a square dome above them.

It (Old Market House) was used as a public market house, city council chamber, city jail, and gathering place for local organizations, and was in the custody of a market master. 1910 marked the end of its use as a market house and for the next 26 years it was occupied by the city government and fire department. After being threatened with destruction, the historic building was sold by the City of Galena to the State of Illinois in 1947. Presently maintained by the Illinois Department of Conservation, Division of Parks and Memorials, it has been restored to its exterior appearance of 1846 and houses historical and architectural exhibits.

- National Register Application



Current name: Galena Welcome Center/Old Market House

Architect: Thomas Blish, Architect

Builder: H. J. Stouffer, Builder

Style: Greek Revival. Cupola; Wings

Historical Summary: Market stalls were located on the lower level. The City Council Chamber was on the second level.

Architectural Description: This is a 2-story meetinghouse in the Greek Revival style built in 1845-46. The foundation is limestone. Exterior walls are brick; wood clapboard/siding. The building has a side and front gable roof clad in metal. Windows are original or historic wood 6/6 fixed; double. The porch is original, Full-width, one-story; Wood materials; Classical supports. Doors are original or historic wood paneled.

- ruskinarc.com Historic Architecture Survey Database

Address:
123 North Commerce Street
Galena, IL USA
61036


Open to the public: Yes

Hours:
9-5 daily


Fees?:
none


Web link: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
In order to add a new log to the waymark of this category, simply take another photo of the prison from a different angle than the other posts. Also add to the history of the jail when possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Retired Prisons
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.