Central High School - Galveston, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member jhuoni
N 29° 17.773 W 094° 47.726
15R E 325611 N 3242141
Quick Description: Designed by noted Galveston architect, Nicholas Clayton, Central High School served "colored students" from the early 1900s until integration in 1968.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 5/16/2019 12:31:46 PM
Waymark Code: WM10JKV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 2

Long Description:

From Galveston Old Central Website

Historical Significance of this site at 2627 Avenue M

Central High School is the first black high school in the State of Texas. It was originally operated in rented quarters at the corner of 16th Street and Avenue L beginning in 1885. In 1893, famed architect Nicholas Clayton designed a two-story brick structure with six classrooms as the third location of Central High School. Immediately prior to the move to this building, the facilities had been located at 15th Street and Avenue N. The total cost of Clayton’s building was about $12,000. In May of 1904, Galveston School Board authorized the construction of “an annex to the Central High School for a library for the colored people of Galveston.” In 1924 a new wing was added to the 1893 building on the west side. It was a two-story stucco building providing additional classrooms, science laboratories and an auditorium and gymnasium facility.

Old Central Cultural Center, Inc. Historical Perspective

Old Central Cultural Center, Inc. was established in 1974 in order to preserve the legacy of the first African/American high school in the State of Texas, which had been established in 1885. In 1893, Galveston’s most famous architect, Nicholas Clayton, designed a two-story brick building for the purpose of …”providing higher educational opportunities for Colored in a free public school in the city of Galveston, Texas.” In 1904, an annex to Central High School was built “…on a motion from Mr. Lovenberg, permission was granted to the Rosenberg Library Association to build an annex to the Central High School for a library for the colored people of Galveston…” Literally thousands of black Galvestonians graduated from Central High School before it was closed as the Galveston public schools were integrated in 1968. By the time the high school closed, it was located at its fourth site; a building currently used as the Galveston Independent School District middle school. However, as the late Dr. Leon Morgan wrote, “The city of Galveston and the black community look upon the third campus and its retained buildings as symbolic of the years when education for blacks was becoming recognized as a very important asset to the city. The site and building are rich in unique history and tradition.”

The moving force behind the continued preservation and operation of the Old Central High School property at 2627 Avenue M is to ensure that this site which represents the first public high school and library for blacks in the State of Texas is properly maintained and financially stable in order to serve as a community center and to provide programs within the Galveston community.

A Texas Historical Marker on the lawn states:

Public Education for Blacks in Galveston

Attempts to open public, tax-supported schools in Galveston after the Civil War (1861-65) were delayed by yellow fever and lack of funds, but in 1881 the school board devised a sound system of free public education. This included classes for black children in two rented locations, called the East Broadway Colored School and Barnes Institute. A year later, the system was revised on geographic lines, with an east district and a west district school. In 1885, Central High School for blacks opened in rented quarters at 16th and Avenue L. From 1889 to 1893 it was housed at 15th Street and Avenue N.

Leading architect Nicholas Clayton was then engaged to design a structure for this site. Built especially for Central, it was the pride of the community. In 1905, Central was chosen to house a branch of the Rosenberg Library. The school building was enlarged in 1924. The school itself was relocated in 1954, and phased out by integration in 1968.

Central High School was a cherished institution in the Galveston black community. This third campus of the high school, a site rich in traditions and history, was rejuvenated in 1976 as a cultural center. (1977)

Address:
2627 Avenue M
Galveston, TX USA
77550


Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To post a log, you may include a photo of yourself at the former school, or a photo of the school, but it is NOT necessary. Please indicate the number of people who visited the waymark with you.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Former Schools
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.