Salthouse Dock entrance on River Mersey - Liverpool, Merseyside, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 53° 24.027 W 002° 59.471
30U E 500586 N 5916818
Quick Description: This river gauge is carved into the stone at the entrance to the Salthouse Dock from the River Mersey.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/10/2019 9:05:56 AM
Waymark Code: WM10HFT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Ernmark
Views: 1

Long Description:
The depth gauge is carved into the stone wall at the entrance to the Salthouse Dock. It is carved into the Dock’s wall in Roman numerals next to it are the weathered old wooden gates.
(visit link)

The retaining walls of Salthouse Dock 1841 are Grade II listed. (visit link)
(visit link)

"Salthouse Dock is a dock on the River Mersey, and part of the Port of Liverpool. It is situated in the southern dock system, connected to Canning Dock to the north, Wapping Dock via Wapping Basin to the south and Albert Dock to the west.
Designed by Thomas Steers and being built from 1734, Salthouse Dock was completed after his death by Henry Berry, opening in 1753. The dock was originally known as South Dock, the name changing because it was nearby to John Blackburne's saltworks. As is indicative of its name, the dock was an important transit terminal for the salt industry. Liverpool was a base for the refining of rock salt from Cheshire and its onward transportation. The dock also handled agricultural produce from Ireland and the Mediterranean.
Structural improvements were made to the dock basin in 1842 and 1855. The opening of the Albert Dock in 1846 allowed vessels to be unloaded there, before moving on to the Salthouse Dock for loading. By the mid-19th century, the main trade from the dock was with China and the East Indies. The dock served square rigged sailing ships until about 1914.
Custom House railway station, on the Liverpool Overhead Railway, was opened at the north-east corner of the dock in 1893. The station, opened at the same time as the railway, was renamed Canning in 1947 and closed in 1956 along with the railway. By 1920, the Wapping and Salthouse Goods Depot of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway was on the eastern side of the dock.
A Royal Navy training ship, HMS Eagle, was based at Salthouse Dock from the end of the 19th century. This was originally a wooden vessel, which was renamed HMS Eaglet in 1918 and replaced in 1927. The following vessel survived until 1972. In 1934, the dock had warehousing along all four quays. The dock closed in 1972."
Source: (visit link)
(visit link)
RIVER GAUGE INFORMATION:
The gauge dates back to the 1800s and is carved into the stone wall at the entrance to Salthouse Dock in the Port of Liverpool situated on the River Mersey.


ANY ADDITIONAL WAYPOINT: Not Listed

WEB LINK FOR RIVER GAUGE: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

Log Waymark with coordinates and your images of the River Gauge.
"At least one picture must have the gauge plus you in the view".
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest River Gauges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.