St Peter - Tickencote, Rutland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 40.443 W 000° 32.195
30U E 666550 N 5838861
Quick Description: St Peter's Church, Tickencote. Apart from the chancel arch and the sexpartite vaulting in the chancel, which are mid 12th century Norman, the building was rebuilt in 1792 at the expense of Miss Eliza Wingfield by architect Samuel Pepys Cockerell.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/30/2019 11:51:04 AM
Waymark Code: WM10FRK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
"St Peter's Church, Tickencote is a Church of England parish church in Tickencote, Rutland. Apart from the chancel arch and the sexpartite vaulting in the chancel, which are Norman and date from the mid 12th century, the building was rebuilt in 1792 at the expense of Miss Eliza Wingfield by the architect Samuel Pepys Cockerell.

The church consists of a three bay nave, a chancel, tower of two storeys and a bell-stage on the south side and a transept on the north side which is used as a vestry. The tower also acts as an entrance porch. The church is built of the local limestone with Collyweston slate roofs and coped gables.

The church now consists of a chancel with a sexpartite vault. The vaulting with its carving is original but may have been re-constructed when 1792 the church was rebuilt and the chancel was encased with stonework, decorated in Romanesque revival style. The restored east end of the chancel has blind arcades of intersecting round-headed arches and engaged round shafts. Round-headed east window with stylized leaf-mouldings and billet-moulded hood mould continuing as frieze to either side. Taller, narrower window lights the priest's chamber which was above the chancel, but which is now blocked and inaccessible. Two orders of blind round-headed arcading above billet frieze. Blind rectangular panels in the east gable. On the north and south sides of chancel are arcade and billet friezes.

Inside the chancel, there is, in a recess, a 14th-century wooden effigy and there is a wooden altar table of 1627.

The most import and impressive feature of the church is the round-headed chancel arch the mid 12th century. This arch has six elaborately decorated orders on ornamental capitals. The inner order is roll-moulded, the second has beak-heads, the third has zig-zags and continuous crenellation, the fourth various heads including those of a king and queen, figures, animals, a green man and foliage and the fifth with zig-zags and the sixth an abstract version of beak mouldings. The outermost edge of the arch is decorated with billet moulding.

The tower has pyramidal roof contains bells which until 1792 hung in a bell-cote at the west end of the chancel. The tower acts as a porch and the round headed entrance has roll-moulded orders and tympanum with a tablet to Eliza Wingfield, at whose expense the 1792 restoration was undertaken.

The Nave, which was later medieval, was completely rebuilt in the 1792 restoration. The font which is Romanesque, is slightly later in date than the chancel arch. The font currently is positioned close to the arch, but an eighteenth century plan shows that it was originally closer to the west end on the north side. The exterior decoration of the nave is a much freer interpretation of the Romanesque style and must be considered one of the earliest examples of Romanesque Revival architecture in the British Isles."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.