moulin de Saint Ane Surimeau - Niort,Nouvelle Aquitaine,France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 21.338 W 000° 27.392
30T E 695678 N 5136705
Quick Description: along the road between Surimeau and Sainte Pezenne. le long de la route entre Surimeau et Sainte Pezenne.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 2/18/2019 12:35:12 AM
Waymark Code: WM103BY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member jotheonly
Views: 1

Long Description:
source Wiki Niort:
Donkey Mill
the mill of Ane in 1900
"Sèvre au Printemps" view of the Moulin d'Âne. (Picture: Hélène Besnard Giraudias 1973)


The Donkey Mill is located Rue du Moulin d'Âne at the entrance to the Surimeau Bridge, connecting the area of ??Ste Pezenne to that of Surimeau.

The name given to this mill has evolved a lot over the centuries, but it seems that a root, common to all these names, has crossed the time:

Donkey Mill, Anne or Donkey.

- In 1260, "Molidinum of Eane": homage of Alphone.
- In 1357, "Heane": Archives Vienna G 20,
- In 1591, following the sharing between Josias and Suzanne de Lezay, wife of Agrippa d'Aubigné, it is the "mill of Asne".
- In 1740, "in the village of Surimeau is the mill of Asne, it belongs to Mrs. Mougon owner of Castle Surimeau and is assigned 800 pounds".
- In 1806, "Moulin d'Âne" cadastre Ste Pezenne D, Compere (See Moulin de Compere).
- In 1835, "Moulin d'âne": same section cadastre.
- In 1886, in his study on the formation of the valley of Sèvre Niortaise; Gelin page 156.

The old postcards of the beginning of the century always mention Anne's mill.
Sale in 1840

In 1840, the mill belonging to Mr. De Mougon (1), goes on sale, with:

the small castle of Gataudière, recently built,
the farm of la Berlandière, located in the village,
a small mansion, called "Maison de la Fontaine", occupied in 1840 by Mrs. Bergeron,
a flour and fulling mill called the "Moulin d'Anne", on the Sèvre ...

(1) M. de Mougon is a descendant of Michel Amateur, Avice, Knight Lord of Mougon, owner of the land of Surimeau, husband of Dame Catherine Favriou, deceased December 30, 1772 and buried in the church Notre-Dame de Niort in front of the chapel of St. Vincent de Paul.

"The poor of his land of Surimeau are the greatest loss." (1773)

source Wiki Niort :
Moulin d'Ane
le moulin d'Ane en 1900
"La Sèvre au Printemps" vue sur le Moulin d'Âne. (Photo tableau : Hélène Besnard Giraudias 1973)


Le moulin d'Âne se situe Rue du Moulin d'Âne à l'entrée du Pont de Surimeau, reliant le quartier de Ste Pezenne à celui de Surimeau.

Le nom donné à ce moulin a beaucoup évolué au fil des siècles, mais il semble qu'une racine, commune à tous ces noms, ait traversé le temps :

Moulin d'Âne, d'Anne ou d'Ane.

- En 1260, "Molidinum de Eane": hommage d'Alphone.
- En 1357, "Heane":Archives Vienne G 20,
- En 1591, suite au partage entre Josias et Suzanne de Lezay, épouse d'Agrippa d'Aubigné, c'est le "moulin d'Asne".
- En 1740, "au village de Surimeau est le moulin d'Asne, il appartient à Mme de Mougon propriétaire de château de Surimeau et est affecté 800 livres".
- En 1806, "Moulin d'Âne" cadastre Ste Pezenne D, Compéré (Voir Moulin de Compéré).
- En 1835, "Moulin d'âne": même section cadastrée.
- En 1886, dans son étude sur la formation de la vallée de la Sèvre Niortaise ; Gelin page 156.

Les anciennes cartes postales du début du siècle mentionnent toujours le moulin d'Anne.
Vente en 1840

En 1840, le moulin qui appartient à M. De Mougon (1), est mis en vente, avec :

le petit château de la Gataudière, récemment construit,
la métairie de la Berlandière, sise dans le village,
une petite maison bourgeoise, appelée " Maison de la Fontaine ", occupée en 1840 par Mme Bergeron,
un moulin à farine et à foulon appelé le " Moulin d’Anne ", sur la Sèvre...

(1) M. de Mougon est un descendant de Michel Amateur, Avice, Chevalier Seigneur de Mougon, propriétaire des terres de Surimeau, époux de dame Catherine Favriou, décédé le 30 décembre 1772 et enterré dans l’église Notre-Dame de Niort devant la chapelle de Saint-Vincent de Paul.

"Les pauvres de sa terre de Surimeau sont la plus grande perte." (1773)


Wiki Niort : (visit link)
Current Status: Plaque Only

Current Use: maison d'habitation

Visit Instructions:
Provide a picture of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Water Mills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited moulin de Saint Ane Surimeau - Niort,Nouvelle Aquitaine,France 4/30/2019 sara et gege visited it