St Nicholas - South Kilworth, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 25.895 W 001° 06.752
30U E 628320 N 5810718
Quick Description: Medieval church of St Nicholas, South Kilworth.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 2/17/2019 2:11:30 AM
Waymark Code: WM10365
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Long Description:
"The south Leicestershire parish church of St. Nicholas in South Kilworth. Is late 12th early 13th century. The tower with its effigy of St. Nicholas is 14th century, and the broached spire was added in the 15th century. The clock was installed in 1921 and is a memorial to those that died in the first world war.

Built in the late Norman period the church has been restored a number of times, and largely rebuilt in 1868-69, under the instructions of Rev. Assheton Pownall by G.F. Bodley. George Bodley was known as the chief exponent of 14th century English Gothic, and the leading ecclesiastical architect in England. He is regarded as the leader of the resurgence of interest in English and northern European late-medieval design.

The remnant of an altar tomb and the effigy are of a 15th century rector Richard Wythnale who died 1439. The reredos panel contains a rare iconic "Lily Crucifixion", of which there are only two other stone sculptures in the UK."

The east window in the south aisle contains the Pownall motto “OFFICIUM PRAESTO”.

The chancel window left main panel depicts St. Mary the Virgin with the subscription “St. Mary” below which is shown the Annunciation. The centre main panel displays the Crucifixion subscribed “It is Finished” beneath which is the Nativity with the Holy Family in Bethlehem. The right main panel is inscribed “St. John” and illustrates St. John the Baptist; beneath is the Resurrection. The inscription at the window’s base reads “To the glory of God in memory of the Revd. Assheton Pownell M.A. Rector of this Parish and Archdeacon of Leicester. This Window was placed by his parishioners and friends June 1887”.

West window of nave. From top to bottom, the left panel contains a small medallion enclosing a cherub with blue wings above a seated Resurrection angel with red wings, beneath which is the Virgin Mary robed in blue and standing at the foot of a coffin. At the top of the central panel, facing forwards stands the resurrected Christ. Beneath him lies the central part of the coffin with Mary Magdalene kneeling, dressed in red. The right panel contains another cherub in a medallion, this time in brown with red wings, above a second seated resurrection angel with blue wings. Below at the head of the coffin stands St. John.

The window was commisioned by Catherine Countess Beauchamp from Messrs Hardman & Co of Birmingham. The actual artist is unknown.

The carved pulpit was installed as a first world war memorial. The font is Norman from the late 12th early 13th century thought to have been constructed from the capital of a Norman column."

SOURCE - (visit link)

Further reading - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.