Église Saint-Vincent - Fontenet (Nouvelle Aquitaine), France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 45° 54.767 W 000° 27.133
30T E 697588 N 5087513
Quick Description: in the town center dans le centre ville
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 2/5/2019 11:17:31 PM
Waymark Code: WM1011N
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 2

Long Description:
Historical
A charter of 990, confirming donations made by Hugues Capet to the abbey of Saint-Jean d'Angély, would refer to a chapel in "Fontaniacus". In 1079, the Duke of Aquitaine Guillaume VI gives the church of Fontenet to the abbey. The Benedictine monks rebuild the building in the 12th century and establish an adjoining priory. The parish cemetery was in the south, on the site of the public garden.

The church of Fontenet has preserved much of its Romanesque structure of the 12th century. Having undoubtedly suffered during the Hundred Years War (traces of fire have been identified on the walls), it was restored in the 15th century: new Gothic vaults were arranged in the three bays of the choir, while retaining the Roman walls. The eastern wall was also remodeled with perhaps the replacement of a hemicycle bedside by a flat chevet and the development of a broken arch bay. Buttresses were added to support the walls which are found inside the strong cant (perhaps responsible for the collapse of the Romanesque vaults). The north wall was pierced by a gothic door and bay at the choir level. The bell tower would have been reworked at the same time, but stylistic clues are lacking to support this theory.

In the 18th century, a large door with a very sober style was pierced in the western wall on the site of a Romanesque portal whose archivolte is still visible. The gable of the facade has also been reworked. The small basket-handle door that was built in the south gate, now walled, could date from the same period.

The church seems to have passed the Revolution without damage, since in 1806 it is said to be in very good condition. Fontenet is then chief town of a branch also including the parish of Varaize (which will become a separate branch in 1875). In the 19th century, the church was the subject of discreet repairs and embellishments. In 1846, the priest was alarmed to see the adjoining buildings and manure deposits deteriorate the north wall, and the land of the cemetery, which was more than one meter above the ground level, moisten the wall South. This cemetery was removed in 1862. Part of the agricultural outbuildings building on the north wall also disappears at this time. The Neo-Gothic altar dates from the 1850s, as does the paneled vault of the nave. The two bells were blessed in 1888.

At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Abbé Fouché greatly contributed to the interior decoration of the church, notably by placing historiated stained glass windows. In his monograph on Fontenet, he indicates that he had a Saint Louis representative made of it, convinced that the king had stopped at Fontenet during his visit to Saintonge. With the exception of those of the axial bay, which bear the date 1891, the stained glass windows are destroyed and the church shaken by the bombing of the Fontenet aviation camp in 1944. Around 1950, the church is fully restored, frame , cover, masonry and new stained glass made by the glass masters Chigot of Limoges. New restorations, directed by Philippe Borgeot, architect of the Buildings of France, were carried out between 1988 and 1991. On this occasion, the gallery at the entrance to the nave was demolished. New repairs were made in 2000 following serious damage to the roof and ceiling caused by the storm.

The church of Fontenet is registered in the Supplementary Inventory of Historical Monuments since February 23, 1925.
Main date (s): 12th century; 15th century; mid 19th century
Secondary date (s): middle 20th century; 4th quarter 20th century; 1st quarter 21st century

Historique
Une charte de 990, confirmant des dons faits par Hugues Capet à l'abbaye de Saint-Jean d'Angély, ferait allusion à une chapelle à "Fontaniacus". En 1079, le duc d'Aquitaine Guillaume VI donne l'église de Fontenet à l'abbaye. Les moines bénédictins font reconstruire l'édifice au 12e siècle et établissent un prieuré attenant. Le cimetière paroissial se trouvait au sud, à l'emplacement du jardin public.

L'église de Fontenet a conservé en grande partie sa structure romane du 12e siècle. Ayant sans doute souffert pendant la guerre de Cent Ans (des traces d'incendie ont été identifiées sur les murs), elle fut restaurée au 15e siècle : de nouvelles voûtes de style gothique furent aménagées dans les trois travées du choeur, tout en conservant les murs romans. Le mur oriental fut également remanié avec peut-être le remplacement d'un chevet en hémicycle par un chevet plat et l'aménagement d'une baie en arc brisé. Des contreforts furent ajoutés pour épauler les murs dont on constate à l'intérieur le fort dévers (peut-être responsable de l'effondrement des voûtes romanes). Le mur nord a été percé d'une porte et d'une baie gothiques au niveau du choeur. Le clocher aurait été remanié à la même période, mais les indices stylistiques manquent pour étayer cette théorie.

Au 18e siècle, une grande porte au style très sobre fut percée dans le mur occidental à l'emplacement d'un portail roman dont on voit encore l'archivolte. Le pignon de la façade a été également remanié. La petite porte en anse de panier qui fut aménagée dans le portail sud, aujourd'hui murée, pourrait dater de la même période.

L'église semble avoir passé la Révolution sans dommage, puisqu'en 1806 elle est dite en très bon état. Fontenet est alors chef-lieu d'une succursale comprenant également la paroisse de Varaize (qui redeviendra une succursale distincte en 1875). Au 19e siècle, l'église fait l'objet de réparations et d'embellissements discrets. En 1846, le curé s'alarme de voir les bâtiments accolés et les dépôts de fumier détériorer le mur nord, et la terre du cimetière, qui s'élevait à plus d'un mètre au-dessus du niveau du sol, humidifier le mur sud. Ce cimetière a été supprimé en 1862. Une partie des dépendances agricoles s'appuyant sur le mur nord disparaît également à cette période. L'autel néogothique daterait des années 1850, de même que la voûte lambrissée de la nef. Les deux cloches ont été bénites en 1888.

A la fin du 19e siècle et au début du 20e siècle, l'abbé Fouché contribue grandement à la décoration intérieure de l'église, notamment en faisant placer des vitraux historiés. Dans sa monographie sur Fontenet, il indique qu'il en a fait faire un représentant saint Louis, convaincu que le roi s'était arrêté à Fontenet lors de son passage en Saintonge. A l'exception de ceux de la baie axiale, qui portent la date 1891, les vitraux sont détruits et l'église ébranlée par les bombardements du camp d'aviation de Fontenet en 1944. Vers 1950, l'église est intégralement restaurée, charpente, couverture, maçonnerie et nouveaux vitraux réalisés par les maîtres verriers Chigot de Limoges. De nouvelles restaurations, dirigées par l'architecte des Bâtiments de France Philippe Borgeot, sont réalisées entre 1988 et 1991. A cette occasion, la tribune qui se trouvait à l'entrée de la nef est démolie. De nouveaux travaux de réparation sont réalisés en 2000 suite à de sérieux dommages causés à la toiture et au plafond par la tempête.

L'église de Fontenet est inscrite à l'Inventaire Supplémentaire des Monuments Historiques depuis le 23 février 1925.
Datation(s) principale(s) : 12e siècle ; 15e siècle ; milieu 19e siècle
Datation(s) secondaire(s) : milieu 20e siècle ; 4e quart 20e siècle ; 1er quart 21e siècle

--Source : (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Église Saint-Vincent - Fontenet (Nouvelle Aquitaine), France 4/18/2019 sara et gege visited it