St Mary - Bruntingthorpe, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 30.156 W 001° 06.992
30U E 627841 N 5818608
Quick Description: St Mary's church, Bruntingthorpe. Only the base of the tower survives from a medieval building. The rest is of 1873 by W. Smith of London, in an Early English style.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 2/5/2019 2:05:32 PM
Waymark Code: WM10108
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
Only the base of the tower survives from a medieval building. The rest is of 1873 by W. Smith of London, in an Early English style.

"Some 9 miles south of Leicester and a few miles northeast of Lutterworth lies the small village of Bruntingthorpe. The church of St Mary’s once surrounded by the village now is surrounded by fields, in the late medieval period the villagers started to build their houses to the north east.

There was probably an early Anglo Saxon settlement here before the Danes arrived in the ninth century. After the Norman Conquest as was often the case the manor of ‘Brandinestor’ was in the hands of a Robert, a vassal of the Norman Count of Meulan. The manor passed through several hands and by 1392 the Hastings family had acquired the manor which they held until 1538, one Lord Hastings, Great Chamberlain to Edward IV started Kirby Muxloe Castle but it was never finished and he was beheaded by Richard III in 1483. The Ferrer’s then took control of the manor after 1538 but it then passed to various families.

The church consists of a west tower with an unusual swithland slated roof, nave, chancel, north aisle and transept. It was largely rebuilt in the restoration of 1873 and ‘razed to the foundations’ apart from the tower which was dismantled as far as the belfry parapet. It is intersting to note that in around 1800 Nichols describes the church as;
‘The church dedicated to St Mary consists of a low tower, covered with swithland slates; a small nave and chancel of one pace, a South and North door (but no porch) into the nave, and a south door into the chancel. The pulpit is of oak; and in general, old open seats. A gallery at the West end of the nave, on the back of the front beam of which is cut 1T.1779. A round ancient plain font, upon a low kneeling step’.

The ‘new’ church was started in march 1873 and completed in September, the tower was also re-pinned and strenghthened and the total cost was £1736. 2s. 0d. The church remains nearly unaltered since 1873 and the 12th century font survives from the earlier church. A organ installed in 1913 replaces the harmonium installed in 1873. On the north wall of the chancel is a large painting attributed to either Thos Freeman R.A rector in 1795 or the earlier Sambrooke N. Russel, M.A rector in 1770 (also rector of Saddington). It depicts the Descent from the Cross, although it seems the rector had painted himself into the picture!"

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.