By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Les Orgues de Cathédrale Saint-Étienne - Châlons-en-Champagne, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 57.300 E 004° 21.467
31U E 599399 N 5423341
Quick Description: [EN] In 1839, the market for a new organ of 32 feet, better suited to the building, was spent with the John ABBEY factor of Versailles. [FR] En 1839, le marché d’un nouvel orgue de 32 pieds, mieux approprié à l’édifice, fut passé avec le facteur John ABBEY de Versailles.
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 7/11/2018 9:22:10 AM
Waymark Code: WMYQET
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team GPSaxophone
Views: 1

Long Description:

"The construction will last for ten years.The magnificent neo-Gothic buffet is designed by the architect Jean-Jacques ARVEUF and made by the Parisian joiner Etienne VENTADOUR.ABBEY carries out the assembly of the instrument from June 1847 to July 1849. The load and the slowness of this construction will result in the disappearance of the workshop of John ABBEY.

In 1896, the sons of John ABBEY, John Albert and Eugene, rebuilt their father's instrument. It is enlarged to 54 games and modernized. The sommiers, the mechanics and the console are rebuilt. New games are added. The work was completed in April 1898.

The design of this instrument is extremely complex including three Barker machines, differentiated pressures at each division. But above all his symphonic sound style is not similar to any other instrument of this time. The backgrounds are very varied, the reeds are powerful and there is an impressive palette of mixtures and games of unusual detail in this type of organ. Moreover, the expressive box of the Story is of an unusual efficiency.

During World War II, the instrument was damaged for the first time in May 1940, then in July and August 1944. After that date it would become silent for many years.

In 1957, the ROETHINGER house in Schiltigheim (Bas-Rhin) restored the organ. The mechanics are repaired, the composition modified with the introduction of mixtures to the Positive and the harmonization is redone and modified. However, this restoration is disrespectful of the original instrument and unreliable since the organ has serious dysfunctions in the years 1975/80 and becomes silent again in 1984.

The instrument was classified as an historic monument in 1979 for its instrumental part and in 1996 for the buffet.

The report of the expert Eric BROTTIER of the Ministry of Culture in 1996, concludes a large-scale restoration, requiring a budget because of the extreme complexity of the instrument. The works are entrusted to the house RENAUD-MENORET Nantes (Loire-Atlantique) and begin in February 2000. After the stop of this company in 2001, the market is transferred to the house ROBERT Brothers of La Chapelle-sur-Erdre ( near Nantes - 44), associated with Denis LACORRE. These factors are from old RENAUD.

The instrument has been completely dismantled except for the buffet which has been restored on site. All the mechanics have been overhauled, the pipes completely redone, the bedspreads completely restored, the Barker machine of the grand-organ completely redone. The main 32 'of the pedal received 6 new open wooden pipes from C to F, replacing the old clogged pipes 16'. These new tubes were posted on each side of the buffet. This work planned in 1898 could not be realized, for lack of means. The repair of innumerable leather shops required long hours of work. The organ was restored and harmonized in 1898. Olivier ROBERT's harmonization work lasted six months.

This extraordinary restoration was completed in December 2006 and the ABBEY organ has found all its breath and sounds so special and remarkable. "

Sources : The Organ

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" La construction s’étalera sur dix ans. Le magnifique buffet néogothique est dessiné par l’architecte Jean-Jacques ARVEUF et réalisé par le menuisier parisien Etienne VENTADOUR. ABBEY effectue le montage de l’instrument de juin 1847 à juillet 1849. La charge et la lenteur de ce chantier entraineront la disparition de l’atelier de John ABBEY.

En 1896, les fils de John ABBEY, John-Albert et Eugène, reconstruisent l’instrument de leur père. Il est agrandi à 54 jeux et modernisé. Les sommiers, la mécanique et la console sont reconstruits. Des jeux neufs sont ajoutés. Les travaux sont achevés en avril 1898.

La conception de cet instrument est extrêmement complexe avec notamment trois machines Barker, des pressions différenciées à chaque division. Mais surtout son style sonore symphonique ne s’apparente à aucun autre instrument de cette époque. Les fonds sont très variés, les anches puissantes et il existe une palette impressionnante de mixtures et de jeux de détails inhabituelle dans ce type d’orgue. De plus la boite expressive du Récit est d’une efficacité peu commune.

Lors de la deuxième guerre mondiale, l’instrument est endommagé une première fois en mai 1940, puis en juillet et août 1944. Après cette date il deviendra muet pour de longues années.

En 1957, la maison ROETHINGER de Schiltigheim (Bas-Rhin) a restauré l’orgue. La mécanique est réparée, la composition modifiée avec l’introduction de mixtures au Positif et l’harmonisation est refaite et modifiée. Toutefois, cette restauration s’avère peu respectueuse de l’instrument d’origine et peu fiable puisque l’orgue présente de graves dysfonctionnements dans les années 1975/1980 et devient à nouveau muet en 1984.

L’instrument a été classé aux Monuments Historiques en 1979 pour sa partie instrumentale et en 1996 pour le buffet.

Le rapport de l’expert Eric BROTTIER du Ministère de la Culture en 1996, conclut à une restauration de grande ampleur, nécessitant un budget conséquent en raison de la complexité extrême de l’instrument. Les travaux sont confiés à la maison RENAUD-MENORET de Nantes (Loire-Atlantique) et débutent en février 2000. Après l’arrêt de cette entreprise en 2001, le marché est transféré à la maison ROBERT Frères de La Chapelle-sur-Erdre (près de Nantes – 44), associée à Denis LACORRE. Ces facteurs sont d’anciens de la maison RENAUD.

L’instrument a été entièrement démonté à l’exception du buffet qui a été restauré sur place. Toute la mécanique a été révisée, la tuyauterie entièrement refaite, les sommiers entièrement restaurés, la machine Barker du grand-orgue entièrement refaite. Le Principal 32’ de la pédale a reçu 6 nouveaux tuyaux ouverts en bois de C à F, en remplacement des anciens tuyaux bouchés 16’. Ces tubes neufs ont été postés sur chaque côté du buffet. Ce travail prévu en 1898 n’avait pu être réalisé, faute de moyens. La réfection des innombrables peausseries a nécessité de longues heures de travail. L’orgue a retrouvé sa disposition et son harmonisation de 1898. Les travaux d’harmonisation effectués par Olivier ROBERT ont duré six mois.

Cette restauration hors du commun a été achevée en décembre 2006 et l’orgue ABBEY a retrouvé tout son souffle et ses sonorités si particulières et remarquables. "

Sources : Les Orgues

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Musical Instruments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Gatinaise visited Les Orgues de Cathédrale Saint-Étienne - Châlons-en-Champagne, France 7/11/2018 Gatinaise visited it
pmaupin visited Les Orgues de Cathédrale Saint-Étienne - Châlons-en-Champagne, France 6/1/2018 pmaupin visited it

View all visits/logs