Clary and Beyers Saloon - Downtown Waterville Historic District - Waterville, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 38.836 W 120° 04.329
10T E 719879 N 5281250
Quick Description: Clary and Beyers Saloon is yet another of several brick buildings which appeared during the local building boom of 1902-03.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 6/16/2018 2:09:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMYHAY
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Downtown Waterville Historic District encompasses all of one block of Locust Street plus the west end of a second block and a few buildings along North and South Chelan Avenue. In all there are 17 contributing and 2 non contributing buildings in the district. All buildings are of brick, save for the Centennial Feed Building, a single storey wood framed building on the west side of North Chelan. The brick for the district was manufactured locally in brick yards, first established in 1889. The oldest structure in the district, on the northeast corner of Locust Street and Chelan Avenue, is the First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block, constructed in 1891.

Further construction in the district was delayed for a decade, at which time a chain of brick buildings were erected simultaneously, Clary and Beyers Saloon being the furthest west built on the south side of the street at that time, the fourth building west from Chelan Avenue. It would be another three years before another was added to the chain, the Mid-State Bank Building.

Now the Coyote Pass Cafe, the building stands behind a beautiful freestanding clock, possibly making the cafe easier to find, which wouldn't be all that difficult even if the clock was not there.

Clary and Beyers Saloon

Building #5: Clary and Beyers Saloon

Address: 104 West Locust Street
Classification: Contributing
Date of Construction: 1902-03

Description and History: This one story brick structure measures 22 feet wide and 50 feet deep and features a broad storefront bay framed by brick piers and surmounted by a paneled frieze, corbelled cornice, and parapet. The original display windows have been altered.

The original frame building on the lot, owned by local builder Frank Haifa, was rebuilt in brick at about the same time that the adjacent row of brick blocks on the east was constructed. Haifa retained carpenter L. Thomas East and brick mason J.A. Hinnick and rented the store to the saloon. By 1922, the building was used as a confectionery.
From the NRHP Registration Form


Photo goes Here

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Downtown Waterville Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
104 Locust Street Waterville, WA United States 98858


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.