Eglise Notre Dame sur l'Eau, MH - Domfront, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member AlexEmilie
N 48° 35.432 W 000° 39.460
30U E 672718 N 5384586
Quick Description: [FR] Eglise Notre Dame sur l'Eau datant du XIe siècle. [EN] Church of Our Lady on Water dating from the 11th century.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 12/24/2016 5:52:52 AM
Waymark Code: WMTPJ2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Windsocker
Views: 1

Long Description:
[FR] L'église fut bâtie au 11e siècle par le fondateur du château. Elle constituait un type parfait de l'architecture romane secondaire. Au cours des siècles, l'édifice subit de nombreuses restaurations. En 1836, l'église fut mutilée lors de l'ouverture de la route de Domfront à Mortain. L'abside et les chapelles du transept sont seules intactes. Avant sa destruction, la tour carrée (remaniée au 12e siècle) s'élevait au centre de la croix, entre la nef et le choeur. Vers 1826, la flèche octogonale en charpente qui couronnait la tour, a été remplacée par une pyramide quadrangulaire. La façade était ouverte par un grand portail roman avec six colonnes à chapiteaux. Le transept est la partie la plus caractéristique de l'édifice, avec des piliers carolingiens. L'église, appelée Notre-Dame-sous-l'Eau sur la liste de 1840 et le J.O. du 18 avril 1914, est nommée Notre-Dame-sur-l'Eau sur les plans de Ruprich-Robert.

[EN] The church was built in the 11th century by the founder of the castle. It was a perfect type of secondary Romanesque architecture. Over the centuries, the building underwent numerous restorations. In 1836, the church was mutilated at the opening of the road from Domfront to Mortain. The apse and the chapels of the transept are alone intact. Before its destruction, the square tower (revamped in the 12th century) rose to the center of the cross, between the nave and the choir. Around 1826, the octagonal framework spire that crowned the tower was replaced by a quadrangular pyramid. The facade was opened by a large Romanesque portal with six columns with capitals. The transept is the most characteristic part of the building, with Carolingian pillars. The church, called Notre-Dame-sous-l'Eau on the list of 1840 and the J.O. of April 18, 1914, is named Notre-Dame-sur-l'Eau on the plans of Ruprich-Robert.
Dénomination de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): église

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Basse-Normandie ; Orne ; Domfront

Adresse de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): -

Siècle de la campagne principale de construction (from Merimee DB): 11e siècle

Précision sur la protection de l'édifice (from Merimee DB):
église


Date de versement de la notice (Merimee DB): 1/1/1840

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Référence de la notice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Vinceo visited Eglise Notre Dame sur l'Eau, MH - Domfront, France 3/15/2021 Vinceo visited it