"Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member André de Montbard
N 51° 29.298 E 007° 01.833
32U E 363266 N 5705967
Unique row of huge chimneys along the former "Kokerei"-plant on "Zollverein", world heritage site in Essen.
Waymark Code: WMRDE2
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 06/13/2016
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Norfolk12
Views: 33

The Zollverein in Essen was active from 1961 to 1993 and was considered at that time as the most modern coking plant in Europe.

Today, it is an architectural World Heritage and industrial monument. Together with the immediately adjacent the former Zeche Zollverein coking plant was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site of 2001.

The coking plant was built in 1957 to 1961 in connection to the central Zollverein XII. The design of the coking plant took over the industrial architect Fritz Schupp. On September 12, 1961, the first official furnace was pressed. In 1961 the coking decreed daily over 192 coke ovens with a capacity of 5000 tons of coke. 1973, the number of furnaces has been extended from 192 to 304 and increases the power of 8000 tonnes of coke per day. In the meantime were employed up to 1,100 people. In order to produce 8000 tons of coke needed to 10500 tonnes of coking coal (bituminous coal). The difference of 10,500 t to 8,000 t are the volatiles gas, tar, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide and benzene. The main product of coke was used for the smelting of iron and steel production. Up to 4 million cubic meters of coke oven gas were (NH3), daily cleaned of tar, ammonia and hydrogen sulfide crude benzene. Part of the gas (45%), was burned for heating the furnaces. The temperature was 1,350 ° C there, in order to maintain the temperatures of 1000 to 1100 ° C in the furnaces. The remaining part (55%) of the gas was compressed to 8 bar and pressed into the Ruhrgas network. The by-products such as crude tar and crude benzene were sold to the chemical industry. Ammonia was converted to salt for agriculture. The hydrogen sulphide was processed to sulfuric acid.

Because the steel crisis in the 1990s and the consequent falling demand for coal, the coking plant on 30 June 1993 was shut down.

Translated from: (visit link)
Private or Public Property?: public

What material is it made from?: brick

Estimated Height of chimney (please include whether metres or feet): 98 meters

Type of building e.g. house, hotel etc: Coking plant

How do you rate it?:

Website with further information: [Web Link]

When was it made?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
When visiting a unique chimney or chimney pot you must post an original picture with your visit log. Please describe the condition and make your log interesting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Unique Chimneys and Chimney Pots
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Narayan, visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 09/22/2022 Narayan, visited it
Walkman10 visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 09/17/2022 Walkman10 visited it
Cabo da Roca visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 09/17/2022 Cabo da Roca visited it
Ulven7470 visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 09/17/2022 Ulven7470 visited it
terratin visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 09/17/2022 terratin visited it
Bergfreund1974 visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 10/03/2018 Bergfreund1974 visited it
Andre 61 visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 08/28/2017 Andre 61 visited it
SaturyBOH visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 10/29/2016 SaturyBOH visited it
murremesch visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 06/13/2016 murremesch visited it
Astartus visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 06/12/2016 Astartus visited it
Great4Fun visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 06/11/2016 Great4Fun visited it
luzzi-reloaded visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 06/11/2016 luzzi-reloaded visited it
Maisi2 visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 06/11/2016 Maisi2 visited it
Kladings visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 06/11/2016 Kladings visited it
prussel visited "Kokerei" on "Zollverein", Essen, Germany 06/10/2016 prussel visited it

View all visits/logs