27-16 Grahamville
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member mikemtn
N 32° 28.243 W 080° 57.902
17S E 503285 N 3592613
Quick Description: Located in Grahamville at the intersection of Roads 13 & 29. Erected by The Jasper County Historical Society in 2000.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 9/10/2006 12:08:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMQ3A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ChapterhouseInc
Views: 22

Long Description:


Text front: This summer village, established by the rice planters of St. Luke's Parish, was a thriving settlement in what was the Beaufort District until the creation of Jasper County in 1912. Named for Capt. John Graham (1784-1833), its prominent residents included members of the Bull, Fripp, Glover, Hassell, Hazzard, Heyward, Jenkins, Screven, and Seabrook families, among others.


Text reverse: The village boasted several stores, three churches, a post office, a tavern, and the Grahamville Academy. When the Charleston & Savannah RR was constructed in 1860, villagers objected to locating a station here so one was built 1 mi. W and Ridgeland grew around it. Grahamville was burned by Union troops in 1864, and Holy Trinity Church is all that survives of the old village.

Marker Name: Grahamville

Marker Location: Roadside

Type of Marker: Other

Marker number: Not listed

County: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A picture of the marker taken by you or specific details of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest South Carolina Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.