By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

City Hall - Atlanta, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North
N 33° 44.930 W 084° 23.420
16S E 741736 N 3737367
Quick Description: The Atlanta City Hall was completed in 1930 and is a fine example of a Neo-Gothic government building.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 12/31/2008 1:21:15 PM
Waymark Code: WM5FBP
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member onfire4jesus
Views: 9

Long Description:
13. The CITY HALL (open 8:30-5 Mon.-Fri.; 8:3°-12:3° Sat.; observation tower same hours), 56 Mitchell Street, S. E. (between Central Avenue and Washington Street), was erected in 1929 at a cost of more than a million dollars. The dignified 14-story building, Gothic in detail and modern in mass, is of the set-back type of architecture. Its outside walls are terra cotta, its main entrance and lobby walls finished in Georgia travertine. The bronze doors of the four elevators are in-scribed with the seal of Atlanta, bearing a phoenix and the legend "Resurgens 1847-1864, Atlanta, Georgia." The building, designed by G. Lloyd Preacher, is on the site of headquarters occupied by General Sherman in 1864. There is an excellent panoramic view of the city from the observation tower.

Georgia A Guide To Its Towns And Countryside (1940)
Author: Federal Writers Project Georgia
Publisher: Tupper And Love Atlanta
Language: English
Call number: 8333


Today:
The building continues to function as the Atlanta City Hall and appears much as it did in 1940.

The Atlanta City Hall was completed in 1930 and is built in the Neo-Gothic style of government building. The City Hall is an 11-story tower set on a four story rectangular base, with pointed arches and uninterrupted piers. The reinforced concrete building has a cream-colored terra cotta veneer covering the entire building. There are white marble balustrades and steps at the Mitchell Street entrance. The lobby and other public spaces have decorative marble wainscoting, walls, and pillars, and ornamented plaster cornices.

This building at 68 Mitchell Street SW occupies the site of the house that General William Tecumseh Sherman took as the headquarters of his occupation after his Atlanta Campaign and before his March to the Sea (Sept.–Nov., 1864). The house was one of the few buildings in Atlanta that Sherman did not destroy. At the time, it belonged to Richard F. Lyon, an associate justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia.

For more information
(visit link)


Address:
55 Trinity Avenue
Atlanta, Ga USA
30303

Date of Construction: 1930

Architect: G. Lloyd Preacher





Book: Georgia

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 39

Year Originally Published: 1940

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Benchmark Blasterz visited City Hall - Atlanta, GA 7/31/2017 Benchmark Blasterz visited it
xptwo visited City Hall - Atlanta, GA 3/16/2013 xptwo visited it
Lat34North visited City Hall - Atlanta, GA 1/1/2008 Lat34North visited it

View all visits/logs