The Old Mill, Gundagai, NSW, 2722
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Snap Happy
S 35° 04.031 E 148° 06.510
55H E 601071 N 6118944
Gundagai’s oldest building, The Old Mill, Sheridan Lane, Gundagai NSW 2722
Waymark Code: WM166M7
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Date Posted: 05/20/2022
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Windsocker
Views: 0

The Old Mill (Gundagai's oldest building) was built in 1848 by Mr J Morley for Flood and Hanley as a flour mill. This was the first flour mill in Gundagai. The building has withstood all floods including the fierce ones of 1852, 1853,1870, and 1925. However, it did have some holes knocked through the walls by the floods fierce torrents and the patches can still be seen today.
The Old Mill is a great tribute to Joseph Morley who set it on such a solid foundation of stone.
This building is the oldest building in Gundagai and the only surviving representative of the original Gundagai township on the river flat.

The Old Mill is Gundagai's oldest surviving building and the only building remaining from the original township of Gundagai destroyed in the great flood of 1852. The original town of Gundagai was built on a floodplain of the Murrumbidgee immediately south of the site of the current town. This was in spite of the warnings of local indigenous people that the site was subject to major floods. In 1852, the town was destroyed by just such a flood with the loss of at least 82 lives. It remains worst flood disaster in Australia’s history.

The mill was built by Edward Flood and Thomas Hanley in 1848 - 1849 and was the first mill to be erected on the Murrumbidgee River. It operated as a flourmill powered by a steam engine and was equipped with a four-ton millstone to crush the wheat.
In the early 1850s, the mill was taken over by the famous Hayes family of flourmillers who had over 200 years experience in the industry in their native Ireland. The mill ceased to operate in the mid - 1860s. Thereafter, it served as a grain store, a freezing works for rabbit carcasses and a warehouse for wool, skins and hide.
Year built?: 1848

Is the mill or gin still in operation?: No

What is or was processed here?: Flour

Are tours available?: Unknown

How is or was it powered?: Steam Engine

What is it used as today?: Gallery

Related link to this waymark.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A picture of the mill or gin along with any information you can provide about the waymark and what you might have experienced while visiting.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Mills and Gins
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.