Portail de l'ancienne église Saint Martin - Arlon, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 41.061 E 005° 48.986
31U E 703150 N 5507345
Quick Description: [EN] The portal of the church of the old Saint Martin church, the only listed part, was moved to the foot of the hill of Saint-Donat. [FR] Le portail de l’église de l'ancienne église Saint Martin, seule partie classée, fut transféré au pied de la butte de Saint-Donat.
Location: Luxembourg, Belgium
Date Posted: 2/20/2021 4:06:43 AM
Waymark Code: WM13V1G
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

"After a thousand years outside the city of Arlon (rue des Thermes Romains), the cult of Saint-Martin was transferred in 1558 to the hospital church (rue Basse, now Grand-Rue).

Burned down in 1660, it was rebuilt in 1681, when Luxembourg was occupied by the troops of Louis XIV. A century later (in 1785) another fire destroyed the roof and the bell tower. The bells melted on the spot.

In the 19th century, the tower was raised and the bell tower rebuilt. In 1914, following the construction of the new Saint-Martin church, it was abandoned and then demolished in 1935. The portal of the church, the only listed part, was transferred to the foot of the hill of Saint-Donat. "</ I >

Sources : The Door

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"Après mille ans en dehors de la ville d’Arlon (rue des Thermes Romains), le culte de Saint-Martin fut transféré en 1558 dans l’église de l’hôpital (rue Basse, actuelle Grand-Rue).

Incendiée en 1660, elle fut reconstruite en 1681, alors que le Luxembourg était occupé par les troupes de Louis XIV. Un siècle plus tard (en 1785) un autre incendie ravagea la toiture et le clocher. Les cloches fondirent sur place.

Au XIXe siècle, la tour fut exhaussée et le clocher reconstruit. En 1914, suite à la construction de la nouvelle église Saint-Martin, elle fut abandonnée puis démolie en 1935. Le portail de l’église, seule partie classée, fut transféré au pied de la butte de Saint-Donat."

Sources : La Porte

Group that erected the marker: Arlon Town Hall / Mairie d'Arlon

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
Square Elisabeth
Arlon, Luxembourg Belgium
6700


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
pmaupin visited Portail de l'ancienne église Saint Martin - Arlon, Belgium 8/28/2020 pmaupin visited it