La place des freres Lamenais - Saint Malo, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 48° 38.964 W 002° 01.620
30U E 571665 N 5388938
Quick Description: the square is near the cathedral. la place est a proximité de la cathedrale.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 10/15/2020 2:08:57 AM
Waymark Code: WM138ZC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 2

Long Description:
En Plate source:
The name of the two brothers Jean-Marie (Saint Malo - 1780 - Ploermel 1860) and Felicite (Saint Malo 1782 - Paris 1854) Robert de Lamenais was given in 1968 to the place which previously bore the names of place Duguey Trouin and place de the large town or the meeting.

JM Robert de la Mennais was the founder of the Brothers of Christian Instruction of Ploermel and of the Ladies of the Providence of Saint Brieuc who had before 1944 a boarding school located on the west side of this Square.

F Robert de la Mennais who called himself Lamenais was a reforming philosopher condemned by the Pope because of his very visionary ideas, but which ended up being recognized.
This square is located on the site of the main garden of the former bishopric, suppressed in 1790. Its buildings extending from the site of the current hotel des finances to the cathedral, house the town hall, the sub-prefecture and the courts.

In 1829 the marble statue of Duguay-Trouin by D. Mohlknet (now in the museum), was erected in the middle of the square then replaced by the war memorial transferred in 1998 to the resistance enclosure.

The south side of the square has retained its old houses, including the rear facades of 5 rue Boyer which bears the 1714 vintage.
The post office dated 1928 and located on the west side of the square is a work of the regionalist architect Malouin Yves Hémard (1886-1955).

The east side of the square is bordered by a district rebuilt by the architect Malouin Henry Aufret (1919-1997) who also gave the plans for what should initially be the town hall to the north of the square (which eventually became a hotel finanaces).

In 1999, during the construction of an underground car park, the remains of a Neolithic site were discovered in the basement of the square.

Fr source Plaque :
Le nom des deux freres Jean-Marie (Saint Malo - 1780 - Ploermel 1860) et Felicite (Saint Malo 1782 - Paris 1854) Robert de Lamenais a été donné en 1968 à la place qui porta antérieurement les noms de place Duguey Trouin et place de la grande commune ou de la réunion.

JM Robert de la Mennais fut le fondateur des frères de l'instruction Chrétienne de Ploermel et des dames de la providence de Saint Brieuc qui eurent avant 1944 un pensionnat situé sur le coté Ouest de cette Place.

F Robert de la Mennais qui se fit appeler Lamenais fut un philosophe réformateur condanné par le pape en raison de ses idées très visionnaires mais qui ont finit par etre reconnues.
Cette place se trouve sur l'emplacement du jardin principal de l'ancien évéché supprimé en 1790. Ses batiments s'étendant depuis l'emplacement de l'actuel hotel des finances jusqu'à la cathédrale, abritérent l'hotel de ville, la sous préfecture et les tribunaux.

En 1829 la statu en marbre de Duguay-Trouin par D. Mohlknet (aujourd'hui au musée), fut érigée au milieu de la place puis remplacée par le monument aux morts transférré en 1998 dans l'enclos de la résistance.

Le coté sud de la place a conservé ses anciennes maisons dont les façades arriere du n 5 rue Boyer qui port le millésime 1714.
La poste datée de 1928 et situé sur le coté Ouest de la place est une ouevre de l'architecte regionaliste Malouin Yves hémard (1886-1955).

Le coté Est de la place est bordé par un quartier reconstruit par l'architecte Malouin Henry Aufret (1919-1997) qui a donné aussi les plans de ce qui devrait etre initialement l'hotel de ville au nord de la place (devenu finalement hotel des finanaces).

En 1999, à l'occasion de la construction d'un parking souterrain les vestiges d'un site neolithique ont été mis jour dans le sous-sol de la place.

Qui a placé ce repère historique ? / Who placed this historical marker ?:
Mairie


Date de placement / Date of establishment: Not listed

Site internet / Internet Website: Not listed

Eléments cryptés / Encrypted elements: Not listed

Conditions de visite alternatives / Alternative visit requirements: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[FR] Une preuve de votre visite est demandée. Joignez à votre log une photo du repère historique et culturel ou répondez à la question alternative proposée par l'owner quand elle existe (si vous ne pouvez joindre de photo).
[ENG] A proof of your visit is needed. Join a picture from the historical and cultural marker to your log or respond to the alternative question proposed by owner if available (if you can't provide a picture).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Histoires de France (French historical markers)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited La place des freres Lamenais - Saint Malo, France 4/5/2021 sara et gege visited it