Cathédrale Saint-Samson - Dol-de-Bretagne, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 33.050 W 001° 45.350
30U E 591816 N 5378273
Quick Description: [EN] The Cathedral of Dol de Bretagne is an old Roman Catholic cathedral dedicated to St. Samson and Gothic style. [FR] La Cathédrale de Dol de Bretagne est une ancienne cathédrale Catholique Romaine dédiée à St Samson et de style Gothique.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 10/8/2019 1:51:29 AM
Waymark Code: WM11EEK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:

"This is an important French historical monument, located in Dol de Bretagne in the department of Ille et Vilaine.It has been the seat of the bishopric of Dol de Bretagne since the year (555), one of the" 9 "ancient bishoprics of Brittany At the time of the revolution, the cathedral became successively Temple of Reason, stable and warehouse.

During the restoration of the religious function, Dol did not recover his bishopric title. It was indeed suppressed by the Concordat of (1801), and its territory divided between the dioceses of Rennes, and St Brieuc. St Samson Cathedral has been classified as a historical monument since (1840).

It was in (548) that St Samson, monk bishop of Cardiff, in Wales, arrived at Dol and founded a monastery there. Shortly after, in (555), Judual, King of Brittany, transformed the monastery into a bishopric. After the coronation of Nominoë, ruler of the Bretons, in (848), the city became the religious capital of Brittany.

Soon a Cathedral Pre Romanesque replaces the early church, but it was destroyed by the Vikings in (1014). A Romanesque cathedral is then built. In the middle of the (XIth century) Pope Gregory VII, consecrates an Archbishop to Dol de Bretagne, but the Kings of France oppose it as well as the archbishop of Tours, so that (1199), the pope decides to to suppress the archbishopric of Dol and the bishopric Bretons return to the jurisdiction of the archbishopric of Tours.

In (1203), the King of England John Lackland burned the Romanesque cathedral. Fearing for his soul, he will contribute to the financing of his reconstruction, which starts in September of the same year under the impetus of Bishop Jean VII de Lizaunet. In (1231), on the death of Jean de Lizaunet, the nave is completed. His successor Clément de Vitré, still called Clément de Coetquen or Coetquin, built the transept and the choir flat bedside.

The relics of St. Samson attract many pilgrims, which requires the construction of an ambulatory. Bishop Clément de Vitré brought to the site workers who had worked on the construction of other cathedrals and introduced new techniques.

The new construction is based on the Romanesque foundations of the previous sanctuary, but in the Gothic style known as Anglo Normand and continues throughout the (XIII century). Last stage, the choir, with its ambulatory and its "10" Lateral Chapels, is completed in (1279). The cathedral is then operational, but does not yet have its Gothic towers.

The large south porch, located at the end of the southern cross, will be added to the (XIVth century) and (XVth centuries). At the same time, one will build on both sides of the latter, in the West, the chapter house, in the East the treasure. During the same campaign, took place the construction of the very large Axiale Chapel bedside.

The building with a total exterior length of 93m, 50 "is built of granite. The cathedral has a straight chevet, which is a rare feature that it shares with the cathedral St Pierre de Poitiers. In contrast to the interior of the building, the large West façade appears extremely austere or even forbidding. The particular North Tower, almost blind, looks more like a dungeon than a cathedral tower.

The North tower dates from (XVth century). Unfinished due to lack of money, it was restored in the 17th century. The South Tower, begun in 1520, has also remained unfinished. It is flanked by a campanile with lantern which dates from (XVII century). Above the cross of the transept stands a short square tower, following the model of the Gothic Norman, wearing a Pyramidal roof. It was built in the 14th century.

The interior consists of a nave, 39.30m long and 17.10m wide, with North and South collateral. It consists of 7 bays with 3 floors, large arcades, Triforium and high windows. Like some other cathedrals of Norman and Norman Gothic styles, a circulation gallery is located at the level of the high windows, at their base. The height is 20,20m under vault in the nave, 20,50m in the choir. The transept braces are both 9.90m long. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" C'est un important monument historique français, situé à Dol de Bretagne dans le département d'Ille et Vilaine. Elle a été le siège de l'évêché de Dol de Bretagne depuis l'année (555), l'un des "9" anciens évéchés de Bretagne. A la révolution, la cathédrale devint successivement Temple de la Raison, écurie et entrepôt.

Lors du rétablissement de la fonction religieuse, Dol ne récupéra pas son titre d'évêché. Il fut en effet supprimé par le Concordat de (1801), et son territoire réparti entre les diocèses de Rennes, et de St Brieuc. La cathédrale St Samson fait l'objet d'un classement au titre des monuments historiques depuis (1840).

C'est en (548) que St Samson, moine évêque de Cardiff, au Pays de Galles, arrive à Dol et y fonde un monastère. Peu après, en (555), Judual, Roi de Bretagne, transforme le monastère en évêché. Après le sacre de Nominoë, souverain des Bretons, en (848), la ville devient la capitale Religieuse de la Bretagne.

Bientôt une Cathédrale Pré Romane remplace l'église primitive, mais celle ci fut détruite par les Vikings en (1014). Une cathédrale Romane est alors construite. Au milieu du (XIème siècle) le pape Grégoire VII, consacre un Archevêque à Dol de Bretagne, mais les Rois de France s'y opposent ainsi que l'archevêque de Tours, si bien qu'en (1199), le pape décide de supprimer l'archevêché de Dol et les évêchés Bretons retournent sous la juridiction de l'archevêché de Tours.

En (1203), le Roi d'Angleterre Jean sans Terre incendie la cathédrale Romane. Craignant pour son âme, il contribuera au financement de sa reconstruction qui démarre en Septembre de la même année sous l'impulsion de l'évêque Jean VII de Lizaunet. En (1231), à la mort de Jean de Lizaunet, la nef est achevée. Son successeur Clément de Vitré, encore appelé Clément de Coetquen ou de Coetquin, fait construire le transept et le choeur à chevet plat.

Les reliques de St Samson attirent de nombreux Pèlerins, ce qui nécessite la construction d'un déambulatoire. L'évêque Clément de Vitré amène sur le chantier des ouvriers ayant travaillé à l'édification d'autres cathédrales et introduit les nouvelles techniques.

La nouvelle construction se fait sur les bases Romanes du sanctuaire précédent, mais dans le style Gothique dit Anglo Normand et continue tout au long du (XIIIème siècle). Dernière étape, le choeur, avec son déambulatoire et ses "10" Chapelles Latérales, est achevé en (1279). La cathédrale est alors opérationnelle, mais ne possède pas encore ses tours Gothiques.

Le grand porche Sud, situé à l'extrémité du croisillon Sud, sera ajouté aux (XIVème siècle) et (XVème siècles). En même temps, on construira de part et d'autre de ce dernier, à l'Ouest, la salle capitulaire, à l'Est le trésor. Lors de la même campagne, a eu lieu l'édification de la très grande Chapelle Axiale du chevet.

L'édifice dont la longueur extérieure totale est de "93m,50" est construit en granit. La cathédrale est pourvue d’un chevet droit, ce qui est une particularité rare qu’elle partage avec la cathédrale St Pierre de Poitiers. En contraste avec l'intérieur de l'édifice, la grande façade Ouest apparaît comme extrêmement austère voire rébarbative. La tour Nord notamment, quasi aveugle, ressemble plus à un donjon qu'à une tour de cathédrale.

La tour Nord date du (XVème siècle). Restée inachevée faute d'argent, elle a été restaurée au (XVIIème siècle). La tour Sud, commencée en (1520), est elle aussi restée inachevée. Elle est flanquée d'un campanile à lanternon qui date du (XVIIème siècle). Au dessus de la croisée du transept s'élève une courte tour carrée, selon le modèle du Gothique Normand, coiffée d'un toit Pyramidal. Elle fut construite au (XIVème siècle).

L'intérieur se compose d'une nef, de 39,30m de long et de 17,10m de large, avec collatéral Nord et Sud. Elle est formée de 7 travées à 3 étages, grandes arcades, Triforium et fenêtres hautes. Comme certaines autres cathédrales des styles Roman et Gothique Normand, une galerie de circulation est située au niveau des fenêtres hautes, à leur base. La hauteur s'élève à 20,20m sous voûte dans la nef, 20,50m dans le choeur. Les croisillons du transept ont tous les deux une longueur de 9,90m. "

Sources : L’Eglise

The "Official Tourism" URL link to the attraction: [Web Link]

The attraction’s own URL: [Web Link]

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Sunday From: 8:00 AM To: 7:00 PM


Admission Prices:
Free


Approximate amount of time needed to fully experience the attraction: Up to 1 hour

Transportation options to the attraction: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

As a suggestion for your visit log, please make every effort to supply a brief-to-detailed note about your experience at the Waymark. If possible also include an image that was taken when you visited the Waymark. Images can be of yourself, a personal Waymarking signature item or just one of general interest that would be of value to others. Sharing your experience helps promote Waymarking and provides a dynamic history of your adventures.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Official Local Tourism Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Cathédrale Saint-Samson - Dol-de-Bretagne, France 8/30/2020 sara et gege visited it
LeBourguignon visited Cathédrale Saint-Samson - Dol-de-Bretagne, France 1/10/2020 LeBourguignon visited it
pmaupin visited Cathédrale Saint-Samson - Dol-de-Bretagne, France 10/4/2019 pmaupin visited it

View all visits/logs