By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Abbaye des Guillemins - Walincourt-Selvigny, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 04.917 E 003° 19.250
31U E 522954 N 5547791
Quick Description: [EN] Originally known as the priory of Val Notre-Dame, it was named the priory of the Guillemins because of the religious of the Order of Saint-Guillaume who occupied it, then the abbey of the Guillemins. [FR] À l’origine connue sous le nom de prieuré du Val Notre-Dame, elle prend le nom de prieuré des Guillemins en raison des religieux de l’ordre de Saint-Guillaume qui l'occupaient, puis le nom d'abbaye des Guillemins.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 8/25/2019 12:19:46 PM
Waymark Code: WM116KX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

"The Abbey was founded in 1255 by Baudouin de Dours. Nicolas, Bishop of Cambrai, granted letters in 1256 to consecrate the priory under the invocation of Notre-Dame and Saint-Guillaume. In 1267 a bull of Pope Urban IV confirmed the establishment. In 1270, Marguerite, Countess of Flanders and Hainaut, confirmed the establishment by donating letters patent.

King of the Germanic Romans, Maximilian I granted the Guillemins of the Val Notre-Dame confirmatory diplomas in 1493 and 1494.

After an episode of replacing the Hieronymites at the College of Good Children in Cambrai, the religious were forced to do divine service again at the priory, on the claim of the Hainaut Seneschal, Lady of Walincourt, representing the former Sirs of Walincourt, the latter's founders. They had, however, obtained Maximilien de Berghes' permission to continue their teaching in Cambrai until 1575. This hermitage contained thirty to forty religious.

In 1765, there were only 12 religious left and the King forbade them to receive novices. With the revolution of 1789 came the time of an attack by a gang routed by the resistance fighter of Don Benoît (Alexis Joseph BAILLEUX), but the religious, understanding that their situation will become difficult, share the money and go to CAMBRAI "in rue St Georges", towards the Church, right side, then to the 4 and 6 of rue Saint Martin. It seems that the domain is more or less left to the local guard afterwards.

Historical traces can be found during the occupation of Hainaut by the Cossacks between 1815 and 1818. The families that followed one another in the Val were content to cultivate the land and it was in 1897 that the DELAMBRE family, also owner of the Ferme des BRISEUX, behind the GUILLEMINS, decided to renovate the premises.

The farm was then very well maintained until the arrival of the current owner Association, which decided to enhance this heritage, preserving its past. "

Sources : The Abbey

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"L'Abbaye fut fondée en 1255 par Baudouin de Dours. Nicolas, évêque de Cambrai, accorda en 1256 des lettres pour consacrer le prieuré sous l'invocation de Notre-Dame et de Saint-Guillaume. En 1267 une bulle du pape Urbain IV confirme l'établissement. En 1270, Marguerite, comtesse de Flandre et de Hainaut, confirme l'établissement par le don de lettres-patentes.

Roi des Romains germaniques, Maximilien Ier accorde aux Guillemins du Val Notre-Dame des diplômes confirmatifs en 1493 et 1494.

Après un épisode de remplacement des Hiéronymites au collège des bons enfants à Cambrai, les religieux furent contraints de faire à nouveau le service divin au prieuré, sur la réclamation de la Sénéchale du Hainaut, Dame de Walincourt, représentant les anciens Sires de Walincourt, fondateurs de ce dernier. Ils avaient, toutefois, obtenu la permission de Maximilien de Berghes de continuer leur enseignement à Cambrai jusqu'en 1575. Cet ermitage contenait trente à quarante religieux.

En 1765, les religieux n'étaient plus que 12 et le Roi leur interdisait de recevoir des novices. Avec la révolution de 1789 vint le temps d'une attaque par une bande mise en déroute par la résistante de Don Benoît (Alexis Joseph BAILLEUX), mais les religieux, comprenant que leur situation va devenir difficile, se partagent le numéraire et se rendent à CAMBRAI "en la rue St Georges", vers l’Eglise, côté droit, puis aux 4 et 6 de la rue Saint Martin. Il semble que le domaine soit plus ou moins laissé à la garde locale ensuite.

On retrouve des traces historiques lors de l’occupation du Hainaut par les cosaques entre 1815 et 1818. Les familles qui se succèdent ensuite dans le Val se contentent d'en cultiver les terres et c'est en 1897 que la famille DELAMBRE, propriétaire également de la Ferme des BRISEUX, derrière les GUILLEMINS, décide de procéder à la rénovation des lieux.

La ferme a ensuite été très bien entretenue jusqu'à l'arrivée de l'Association actuellement propriétaire qui a décidé de mettre en valeur ce patrimoine, en préservant son passé. "

Sources : L’Abbaye

Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Abbaye des Guillemins

Address:
D 960
Walincourt-Selvigny, Nord France
59127


Religious affiliation: Catholic, Order of Saint-Guillaume

Date founded/constructed: 1255

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Abbaye des Guillemins - Walincourt-Selvigny, France 8/27/2019 pmaupin visited it