Ancien hôpital de la Charité - Lyon, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 45.380 E 004° 50.035
31T E 642626 N 5068610
Quick Description: [EN] The hospital of Charity was destroyed in 1933 due to insalubrity and only the church tower. [FR] L'hôpital de la Charité a été détruit en 1933 pour cause d'insalubrité et seul le clocher de l'église.
Location: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
Date Posted: 8/2/2019 2:31:14 AM
Waymark Code: WM1124G
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

"Charité Hospital of Lyon is a former hospital for orphaned and destitute children built in the seventeenth century in Lyon, it is destroyed in 1933 due to insalubrity and only the church tower, built after a sketch of Bernini, has been preserved.

In 1529 and 1531, major famines hit France following a period of drought causing an influx of migrants to the city of Lyon. In order to offer help to the population, General Alms is created in 1534 at the Cordeliers Convent. But its means remain insufficient. In 1581 General Alms decided to build the Hospital of Charity.

The institution buys on December 2, 1614 land located between Place Bellecour and the Rhone. Father Etienne Martellange, a member of the Society of Jesus, presented in 1616 the plans of the hospital. Picquet, former Rector of the General Alms, slightly modifies the plans. The first stone of the hospital is laid on January 16, 1617, bearing the inscription "Our Lady of Charity".

In 1677, a bell tower is added to the church. Funded by quests, donations, the help of rectors, the Consulate, various corporations and notables Lyon. On May 24, 1786, the establishment takes the name of "general hospital of Charity, general Alms and foundlings of Lyon".

At the beginning of the twentieth century, between 1903 and 1909, Jules Courmont, with the support of the mayor of Lyon Edouard Herriot, announces and plans the removal of the hospital function of the Charity Hospital.

The demolition of the Charité hospital was decided in 1931, before being carried out in 1934. Following the progressive destruction of the Charité hospital, a petition emerged to defend the bell tower of the hospital. It brings together nearly 9,000 signatures before being given to Édouard Herriot. In parallel, an anonymous donation of 300,000 francs is received for the safeguarding of the bell tower. In 1935, Edouard Herriot announced to the city council his wish to save the bell tower.

This bell tower, designed on a square plan, is surmounted by a two-storey octagonal lantern lined with bosses. The whole is then covered by an 8-sided dome. In 1953, its bells are melted and reused in the basilica of Fourvière. The bell tower is now used as a telephone relay antenna. The four-dial clock installed in 1853 that can still be seen at the top still works. "

Sources : The Hospital

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" L'hôpital de la Charité de Lyon est un ancien hôpital destiné à recevoir les enfants orphelins et les indigents. Construit au XVIIe siècle à Lyon, il est détruit en 1933 pour cause d'insalubrité et seul le clocher de l'église, construit d'après un croquis du Bernin, a été conservé.

En 1529 et 1531, de grandes famines frappent la France à la suite d'une période de sécheresse provoquant un afflux de migrants sur la ville de Lyon. Afin d'offrir une aide à la population, l'Aumône générale est créée en 1534 au couvent des Cordeliers. Mais ses moyens restent insuffisants. En 1581, l'Aumône générale décide de construire l'hôpital de la Charité.

L'institution achète le 2 décembre 1614 des terrains situés entre la place Bellecour et le Rhône. Le père Etienne Martellange, membre de la Compagnie de Jésus, présente en 1616 les plans de l'hôpital. Picquet, ancien recteur de l'Aumône générale, modifie légèrement les plans. La première pierre de l'hôpital est posée le 16 janvier 1617, " portant gravée la mention « Notre Dame de la Charité ».

En 1677, un clocher est ajouté à l'église. Financé par des quêtes, des dons, l'aide des recteurs, du Consulat, de diverses corporations et par des notables lyonnais. Le 24 mai 1786, l'établissement prend le nom d'« hôpital général de la Charité, Aumône générale et enfants trouvés de Lyon ».

Au début du XXe siècle, entre 1903 et 1909, Jules Courmont, avec l’appui du maire de Lyon Édouard Herriot, annonce et met en projet la suppression de la fonction hospitalière de l'Hôpital de la Charité.

La démolition de l'hôpital de la Charité est décidée en 1931, avant d'être réalisée en 1934. À la suite de la destruction progressive de l'hôpital de la Charité, une pétition émerge pour défendre le clocher de l'hôpital. Elle regroupe près de 9 000 signatures avant d'être donnée à Édouard Herriot. En parallèle, un don anonyme de 300 000 francs est reçu pour la sauvegarde du clocher. En 1935, Édouard Herriot annonce au conseil municipal son souhait de sauvegarder le clocher.

Ce clocher, conçu sur un plan carré, est surmonté d’une lanterne à deux étages de forme octogonale bordée de bossages. L’ensemble est ensuite couvert par un dôme à 8 pans. En 1953, ses cloches sont fondues et réutilisées dans la basilique de Fourvière. Le clocher sert aujourd’hui d’antenne relais téléphonique. L’horloge à quatre cadrans installée en 1853 que l’on peut encore voir au sommet fonctionne toujours. "

Sources : L’Hôpital

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Ancien hôpital de la Charité - Lyon, France 7/4/2019 pmaupin visited it