St Paul's School - Woodhouse Eaves, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 43.346 W 001° 12.855
30U E 620604 N 5842889
The former St Paul's school, Woodhouse Eaves, opened in 1837 and in use until 1970. Now in use as private residencies.
Waymark Code: WMXW27
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 03/05/2018
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 0

"There has been a church in Woodhouse since the 14th. century, 1338 to be exact. It was decided that Woodhouse Eaves should now have it’s own church. It was designed by William Railton, named St. Paul’s, and consecrated in 1837.

Now that Woodhouse Eaves had it’s own church, a new school would complement this for the benefit of the village. A plan of 1838 shows the basic design looking North, with the road (Church Hill) from Swithland on the right hand side. Note that the bell tower is on the end of the building facing North.

The school was under the auspices of the Church of England (in this case St. Paul’s Church), with three trustees appointed:- Anna Christiana Watkinson of Woodhouse, Edward Basil Farnham of Quorn, and William Perry Herrick of Beaumanor Hall. They were empowered from time to time to appoint or dismiss such person to be master of the school and such person to be mistress of the school and such person or persons to be assistant or assistants in the school at such salaries and upon such terms in all respects as the trustees think fit. The Vicar of St. Paul’s Church would also have a great deal of control over the running of the school. The National system of education was to be adopted, and the Liturgy and Catechism of the Established Church of England taught to the children.

Children, both male and female of the inhabitants of the township liberties or places of Woodhouse, Woodhouse Eaves, and Beaumanor. All children had to have been baptised by an Episcopally ordained clergyman, Scholars should be taken regularly every Sunday by the master or mistress to Divine Service at St. Mary’s Church in Woodhouse or St. Paul’s Church, Woodhouse Eaves unless satisfactory reason for non-attendance be given.

The earliest headmaster on record was Mr. William Pettitt in 1860. Accommodation for the headmaster had originally been in part of the school, but it was decided that he should have more suitable living accommodation. A handsome residence was built on the opposite side of Church Hill, paid for by Miss Herrick of Beaumanor at a cost of £500. It was known as School House, and is still there today.

By 1863 Woodhouse Eaves was beginning to grow in size, so a second building was constructed on Main Street at a cost of £400, to take the infant pupils. This building still stands.

150 children by 1866.
These are just seven of them:-
John Hudson, aged 6, father was a farmer
Ann Himan, aged 4, father was a labourer
Mary Ann Wistley, aged 7, father was a gamekeeper
Thomas Hill, aged 7, father was a ratcatcher
Kate Bonshor, aged 3, father was a bricklayer
Jemima Spencer, aged 9, father was a slatecleaver
Peter Cook, aged 6, father was a coachman at Beaumanor

A lot of school register details still exist from 1866 (as copies only) with a wealth of fascinating information, eg. names of pupils, ages, parents addresses and occupations, when they left, and why.

As the population increased it was necessary to extend the size of the school on Church Hill by adding a further section at each end. The windows were diamond pattern with stone mullions. The roof had four ventilators. The very tall chimneys were necessary to control the downdraft created by the rock face behind the school. There was an entrance door at each end, and one in the original centre section. The school bell tower now faced the road.

Mr. Pettitt decided to retire on 31st. December 1895 (his stipend at the time was £86 year – a good amount for those days). On 1st. January 1896, Jesse Gibson took over as headmaster. Probably the best known headmaster, well-liked and respected who became known as ‘The Gaffer’. In 1903, responsibility for the school was transferred to the County Council.

When the Great War had started, Jesse Gibson enlisted in the National Reserve on 11th. December 1914 in the rank of 1st. Lieutenant, which meant temporarily leaving his post as Headmaster. The staff were re-arranged to cope with this. Kate Stubbs was appointed as Acting Head of the school on November 1st. 1915. Jesse Gibson eventually reached the rank of Captain. At the end of the War, he was expected to return to St. Paul’s. Unfortunately he became seriously ill and was in the Military Hospital in Leicester where he died on 7th. March 1919. He was laid to rest in Woodhouse Eaves Village Churchyard.

Fourteen ex-pupils of St. Paul’s School died in the Great War of 1914-1918. Their names are listed on the Memorial on Church Hill.

Mr. W.F.Durrant was Headmaster from 1919 to 1925. Mr. Frederick Arthur Clay took over until 1942, when Mr. Gwilyam Morgan Hughes arrived, a Welshman, and enthusiastic singer, who encouraged the pupils to do likewise. There are many tales of the children walking around the village singing. A Mr. Leach took over as Headmaster about 1966.

On September 11th. 1951, the National School was officially named St. Paul’s Church of England School – Woodhouse Eaves.

By the 1970's St. Paul’s School was old, it needed much modernisation. The authorities decided to build a new school (with the same name) elsewhere in the village. So, in 1970 it was closed. However it was not the end of the building. The general structure was sound, and of historic value. In 1974, it was sold for conversion into residential homes for £10,500.
One of the problems was the Bell Tower, it was considered unsafe, and despite many protests from villagers (probably ex-pupils), it was dismantled and re-erected in the grounds of School House."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Address:
Old St Paul's School
Church Hill
Woodhouse Eaves, Leicestershire England


Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a log, you may include a photo of yourself at the former school, or a photo of the school, but it is NOT necessary. Please indicate the number of people who visited the waymark with you.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Former Schools
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.