By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

The Selman Drug & Jewelry Company - Douglasville Commercial Historic District - Douglasville, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 33° 45.065 W 084° 44.920
16S E 708530 N 3736833
Quick Description: NRHP says it is now a drug store, but that was 1989..today it is the Irish Bred Pub
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 5/23/2018 5:23:32 AM
Waymark Code: WMYB04
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of building: Douglas County
Location of building: Price St. & Broad St., SE corner, Douglasville
Built: 1885
Original Occupant: G. G. Hudson and Dr. J. B. Edge
Current Occupant: Irish Bred Pub

"The former Selman Drug and Jewelry Company (photograph 6), built in 1885, is a two-story, red brick building designed in an Italianate style. The building features an elaborate pressed metal cornice with brackets. The second story brick panels along the Broad Street facade are slightly recessed. Both the front and side facades feature decorative window hood moldings and stone sills.

"Examples of Italianate detailing, found in the former Selman Drug Company building, are recognized by decorative pressed metal cornices, with brackets and elaborate window hood moldings.

"Selman Drug & Jewelry was located at the corner of Price Avenue and East Broad Street with offices upstairs. This two-story brick building with floor space of 6,000 square feet was erected in 1885. Bricks for the building were made of county bricks in James Marion Abercrombie's brickyard on the outside of town. The first drug firm was Hudson & Edge which later became known as Selman Drug Co. and in 1887 became J. L. Selman & Company. Selman Drug Store was the first drugstore to have a soda fountain in the early 1890s, and with the coming of the auto, a gas pump was installed on the sidewalk in front of the drugstore. In 1926, the business was sold to pharmacist W. S. O'Neal. In 1962, it was sold to the current owners, Freeman Warren and Glenn Boggs and is now called B & W Drugs." ~ NRHP Nomination Form


"This two-story brick building was Douglasville’s first drug store. It is the only building on Broad Street with a cast iron decorative front. It was built in 1885 by G. G. Hudson and Dr. J. B. Edge. Within the first year of business Hudson bought Dr. Edge’s interest. In 1887, Hudson sold the business to Joseph L. Selman and it became Selman and Son Groceries Hardware, and Feed Stuffs. In March 1906, the Gainsborough Telephone Co. moved from the second floor of the Upshaw building to the second floor of the Selman building." ~ Walking Tour of Downtown

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Douglasville Commercial Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
6682 Broad St.,
Douglasville, GA 30134


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.