By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Farmers & Merchants Bank - Douglasville Commercial Historic District - Douglasville, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 33° 45.100 W 084° 44.837
16S E 708657 N 3736901
Quick Description: 2nd bank building in Douglasville
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 5/15/2018 7:33:36 AM
Waymark Code: WMY9GW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of building: Douglas County
Location of building: Campbellton St. & Broad St., SE corner, Douglasville
Built: 1912
Original Occupant: Farmers and Merchants Bank
Current Occupant: Whitaker Roofing Company

"The district also contains other examples of important historic commercial buildings including the...c. 1912 Farmers & Merchants Bank, (photograph 3)...which illustrate architectural adaptations of popular period styles and all of which are characteristic of historic central business districts in small Georgia railroad towns.

"In 1911, the Farmers and Merchants Bank was built on East Broad Street at the northeast corner of Campbellton Street by Dick and Dan Butler. In 1915, Dan Butler also built the Hutcheson building on East Broad Street. W. C. Abercrombie was president of the new bank; R. M. Johnson was vice president, and R. E. Edwards was cashier. This bank failed in 1927 and was taken over by the Georgia State Bank. It presently serves as the home of the Douglasville Printing Company." ~ NRHP Nomination Form


"Douglasville’s second bank, the Farmers and Merchants Bank, opened its doors May 1, 1907, two years after Douglasville’s first bank, the Douglasville Banking Co. opened. The Farmers and Merchants Bank was part of a large banking chain known as the Whilham system and was located on the corner of Broad and Campbellton Streets with assets totaling $25,000. The banks’ significant architectural style is an example of the quality of buildings being constructed in Douglasville at that time. The round window above the door and the fan shaped windows were handmade German glass." ~ Walking Tour of Douglasville

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Douglasville Commercial Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
6636 E. Broad St.,
Douglasville, GA 30134


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.