By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Hutcheson Building - Douglasville Commercial Historic District - Douglasville, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 33° 45.046 W 084° 44.966
16S E 708460 N 3736797
Quick Description: This building location only on map
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 5/15/2018 6:26:41 AM
Waymark Code: WMY9GG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of building: Douglas County
Location of building: 6712 Broad St., Douglasville
Built: 1915
Original Occupant: J. Hutcheson, Attorney
Builder: John Butler
Current Occupant: Gumbeaux's a Cajun Cafe

"During the early 20th century, the central business district continued to remain in the area of Broad Street and Church Street. Broad Street and Factory (Church) Street were bordered by Cemetery Avenue (Rose Avenue) and Campbellton Street. One and two-story structures offered goods and services ranging from "general merchandise" to banking, drugs, meats, hardware, barbering, cobbler, dressmaker, millinery, harness shops, saloons, restaurants, Masonic hall and county and city jails. There were two horse sheds, nine general stores, one Masonic hall, two cobblers, two saloons, two milliners, one dressmaker, one meat store, three drugstores, one barbershop (this building is still used as a barbershop), one carriage depository, three paint shops, one bank, post office, city jail and several vacant buildings.

"In 1911, the Farmers and Merchants Bank was built on East Broad Street at the northeast corner of Campbellton Street by Dick and Dan Butler. In 1915, Dan Butler also built the Hutcheson building on East Broad Street. W. C. Abercrombie was president of the new bank; R. M. Johnson was vice president, and R. E. Edwards was cashier. This bank failed in 1927 and was taken over by the Georgia State Bank. It presently serves as the home of the Douglasville Printing Company." ~ NRHP Nomination Form


"Circa 1915, Attorney Robert J. Hutcheson built this two-story brick building to house the U. S. Post Office and his upstairs law office. The Post Office was moved into the new building on the lower floor. Max’s café was also on the first floor" ~ Walking Tour of Douglasville

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Douglasville Commercial Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
6712 Broad St.,
Douglasville, GA 30134


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.