Posted by: xptwo
N 32° 16.846 W 086° 36.600
16S E 536725 N 3571624
Quick Description: Marker giving the history of the town of Lowndesboro, Alabama, which is located about 15 miles west of Montgomery.
Location: Alabama, United States
Date Posted: 4/23/2012 7:26:56 AM
Waymark Code: WME9KJ
Lowndesboro is a small town with a population of under 200. There are many buildings and residences from the 1800s. This marker is in front of an open field on Broad Street, near the intersection with Water Street.
"The site on which Lowndesboro now stands was part of the territory ceded by the Creek Indians with the signing of the Treaty of Fort Jackson, which ended the Creek War in 1814. Beginning in 1815, the area, located just north of the Old Federal Road, was settled by several families from South Carolina. Between 1817 and 1830, spurred by Alabama's admission to the Union in 1819, the area was extensively settled, mainly by Presbyterians from the Carolinas; it initially was named McGill's Hill after two of the first settlers, John and Selina McGill. In 1830, McGill's Hill merged with the nearby community of Loch Ranza and was renamed Lowndesborough (as it was originally spelled) in honor of William Lowndes, the congressman from South Carolina after whom Lowndes County was named. Lowndesboro was officially incorporated as a town by an act of the state legislature in 1856.
Its location amid Black Belt cotton plantations and its proximity to the Alabama River enabled Lowndesboro to become a center of the cotton industry. It was also among the earliest sites of the Alabama peach industry. The town was home to families who grew wealthy from the industry and who built large, Greek revival-style homes. Many of these homes survived an 1865 raid during the Civil War by Union forces under the command of Gen. James H. Wilson. According to local legend, town physician Philip Cilley met Wilson and his troops at the edge of town and convinced him that a smallpox epidemic had struck there; the ruse worked, and most of Wilson's men bivouacked outside of Lowndesboro. Although its historic structures were spared, Lowndesboro's economy and population suffered severely after the Civil War, as was the case with many other Black Belt towns." source: (visit link