Velykyi Liubin Palace
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member UKRDOUG
N 49° 43.233 E 023° 44.596
34U E 697726 N 5511173
Quick Description: Velykyi Liubin was completely destroyed in 1648 and the people completely wiped out or taken captive by invading Tatars. A new town was founded in the 17th century and a fortress was erected to protect the inhabitants.
Location: Ukraine
Date Posted: 2/9/2012 11:31:34 AM
Waymark Code: WMDP8B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 3

Long Description:
Velykyi Liubin Palace

The annals of Kyivan-Rus list a small settlement here amongst these impassable marshes and ponds. In the 13th century. The village was comprised of free citizens who performed military service for what remained of Kyiv-Rus after the Mongol invasion of 1241. The town was destroyed in 1648 and the people completely wiped out or taken captive by invading Tatars.

A new town was founded in the 17th century and a fortress was erected to protect the inhabitants. The fortress grounds are now a city park.

That entire castle was dismantled and a completely new palace complex was built in its place in the 18th century. There is nothing left that would remind us today that a great defensive fortress once defended this region. All that is left is the 18th century palace built by the Humenetsky family and in turn sold to the Yablonsky family who lost the town and palace in a card game to Ivan Brunner. Brunner turned the estate into a spa resort.

Today the palace is used as a school for the orphanage that has been built on the former castle grounds.
Accessibility: No access- Private

Condition: Intact

Admission Charge?: no

Website: Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.