High Newton Hand Pump, Cumbria
N 54° 14.286 W 002° 55.295
30U E 505110 N 6010016
Quick Description: This pump is boxed against the wall in the village of High Newton. The turnpike came through here in 1820, only being bypassed in 2007.
Location: Northwest England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/24/2010 9:11:51 AM
Waymark Code: WM9ZYP
The present handle is for display only as it is not connected to the plunger. The body of the pump and spout are made from lead, perhaps that is why the pump was abandoned. The plunger is rusted suggesting cast iron. There is a well at the top of the village near the Crown Inn. Two water sources.
The reservoir above the village was built to supply Grange-over-sands with water. Pipes were purchased before a scheme was approved.
Is it Working: no
Horse & Farrier Barn
Newton In Cartmel
High Newton, Cumbria England
Good place to park: N 54° 14.282 W 002° 55.294
How to find.:
Off the old road through the village, swing off to the south on the big bend. Opposite the red EIIR postbox.
Daylight hours as no street lighting.
Does this pump have a presence on the internet?: Not listed
A quality photograph of the old hand operated pump showing another feature with or without someone or GPSr in view. Describe your route to the pump, perhaps.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.