Miraculous Medal Shrine Carillon - Germantown, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Janila
N 40° 02.517 W 075° 10.058
18T E 485699 N 4432426
Quick Description: The carillon at the Miraculous Medal Shrine in Germantown, PA, was played for the first time in 1901.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 10/19/2018 4:39:04 AM
Waymark Code: WMZCDC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 2

Long Description:
The history of the carillon from their website. (visit link)

"Construction of the Shrine’s bell tower that houses the carillon was completed in 1899. The parishioners of a nearby parish run by the Vincentians decided that the Shrine should have a bell tower and carillon. They were encouraged to pledge money as memorial offerings. One parishioner, Margaret Ellen Maguire, pledged $5,000 from an inheritance she received from her father. She stipulated that the monies were to be used exclusively for the carillon. In 1900, a carillon of 26 bells was ordered from the famous Paccard Foundry in France. The bells were blessed on March 25, 1901, the Feast of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin. The bells were officially played for the first time on Easter Sunday, April 7, 1901. These bells are dedicated to the memory of Margaret’s father, John Maguire. The largest bell weighs 3,300 pounds; the smallest weighs 30 pounds. The bells are artfully decorated. Eleven of the bells are inscribed with the names of saints; the remaining 15 bells are named in honor of the 15 Mysteries of the Rosary.

The carillon was silent for many of its first 40 years. There were problems with the mechanical workings of the bells, and there were many upgrades and experiments with new electrical and various mechanical systems. The silence was broken in 1945 when Arthur Lynds Bigelow, an engineer and carillon expert, came to the Shrine and offered to repair the carillon. He also proposed enlarging the carillon to 47 bells. The installation of the bells and new keyboard were completed in 1952. The new carillon with 47 bells was publically played on June 15, 1952, with Bigelow as the carillonneur."
Location:
475 E. Chelton Avenue
Philadelphia, PA USA
19144


Who controls the carillon?: Miraculous Medal Shrine, Germantown, PA

Number of bells: 47

Schedule of regular public performances:
The carillon playing times are: Mondays at 5:30-6:30pm and 7-7:30pm.


Year of construction: 3/25/1901

Structure: This carillon is part of the Miraculous Medal Shrine. It is 125 feet high and has a 14 foot tall bronze statue of the Blessed Virgin on top of the tower.

Location web page: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
An original photograph of the carillon is required. One of you and your crew doing your very best imitation of Quasimodo and/or Esmeralda will be most appreciated.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Carillon
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
STLbells wrote comment for Miraculous Medal Shrine Carillon - Germantown, PA 6/28/2020 STLbells wrote comment for it