Frühmesskapelle - Schwarzenburg, BE, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 46° 49.022 E 007° 20.515
32T E 373514 N 5186166
Quick Description: The chapel in the center of Schwarzenburg was built in 1463. It was subject to the Teutonic Knights and is built in a style typical for their traditional dominions in north-eastern Europe.
Location: Bern, Switzerland
Date Posted: 1/12/2018 1:39:36 AM
Waymark Code: WMXGZE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
Views: 1

Long Description:
EN: The Frühmesskapelle (early mass chapel) in the center of Schwarzenburg was built in 1463 by the Venner (knight banneret) Lienhard Schmid at his own expense. The chapel was subject to the Teutonic Knights of Köniz, which also explains the architecture. Churches of this style are mostly unknown in Switzerland, but common in the traditional dominions of the Teutonic Knights in north-eastern Europe.

The chapel was used only for early mass. Weddings, baptisms and funerals were forbidden in order not to diminish the income of the parish church of Wahlern. After the Reformation, the tower was raised and equipped with a fire lookout. The building was used for sermons and as a religious school, but had to be mortgaged by the community in 1848 and later sold. From 1859 the building was used as a jail and rebuilt several years later to a poorhouse.

Since a renovation in 1913, the house again serves as a church, since 1916 also weddings, baptisms and funerals are permitted. In addition to the Protestant Reformed community, the chapel is sometimes used by the Roman Catholic minority.

DE: Die Frühmesskapelle im Zentrum von Schwarzenburg wurde 1463 vom Venner (Bannerherr) Lienhard Schmid auf eigene Kosten errichtet. Die Kapelle unterstand den Deutschrittern von Köniz, was auch die Architektur erklären kann. Kirchen dieses Stils sind in der Schweiz sonst unbekannt, kommen aber in den traditionellen Herrschaftsgebieten des Deutschritterordens in Nordosteuropa häufig vor.

Die Kapelle wurde nur zur Morgenandacht benutzt. Heiraten, Taufen und Beerdigungen waren veboten, um die Einkünfte der Pfarrkirche von Wahlern nicht zu schmälern. Nach der Reformation wurde der Turm erhöht und mit einem Feuerwachtposten ausgestattet. Das Gebäude wurde für Predigten und als Religionsschule verwendet, musste aber von der Gemeinde 1848 verpfändet und später verkauft werden. Ab 1859 wurde das gebäude als Arrestlokal verwendet und einige Jahre später zu einer Armenwohnung umgebaut.

Seit einer Renovation 1913 dient das Haus wieder als Kirche, seit 1916 dürfen auch Heiraten, Taufen und Beerdigungen durchgeführt werden. Neben der evangelisch-reformierten Gemeinde wird die Kapelle auch manchmal von der römisch-katholischen Minderheit benutzt.
Name of Military Order: Teutonic Knights

Link documenting charitable acts: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.