St. Mary’s Anglican Church - Harrigan Cove, NS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 44° 55.566 W 062° 17.982
20T E 555265 N 4974979
A Twentieth Century church, St. Mary’s Anglican did not make an appearance on Nova Scotia's southern shore until 1909.
Waymark Code: WMTKQ4
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Date Posted: 12/05/2016
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Situated in a very rural area, with only a few scattered houses nearby, St. Mary’s stands at the top of a small hill, overlooking the forested countryside, Harrigan Cove, one kilometre to the east, and Engelhutts Cove, less than a half kilometre to the southeast.

Surrounding the church and running down the hill to Shiers Road is the church's cemetery which, as of August, 2012 held 151 grave markers. The earliest dated headstone here is that of infant Annie Pamelia, daughter of John Alfred and Lucinda Johanna Shiers, born July 24, 1854, died February 19, 1859. Given that there is only one other pre 1909 headstone in the cemetery, we suspect that she was buried elsewhere in 1859 and either her remains were moved here or this marker later erected in her memory. Note that the church stands alongside Shiers Road.

The church itself is a simple little country church, almost rectangular save for a small extension to the uphill side of the building which runs about three quarters of its length. On the opposite side of the building is a full length extension, interrupted part way down by what becomes an alcove.

Inside, the church is finished with an abundance of narrow tongue and groove boards, applied vertically above wainscoting and chair rails on the walls and in a diamond and triangle pattern on the segmented arch ceiling. Only the windows at each end of the nave have stained glass while all others are plain glass. While far from the exquisite stained glass to be found in the cathedrals of the world, what the church possesses is quite likely what the church could afford. One window depicts an angel while the other a dove carrying an olive branch.

Following is a thumbnail history of Harrigan Cove.

HARRIGAN COVE, Halifax County

A settlement situated about twenty miles northeast of Sheet harbour on the eastern shore being named after an early settler. A plan of lots dated in 1827 shows much of the land belonged to Simon and Alexander Fraser and Thomas Currey.
St. Mary's Anglican Church was consecrated on September 25, 1909.
A school-house was erected about 1880.
A Postal Way Office was established in 1864. Gold was discovered in this district in 1868. but it was not until the last of the century that mining operation became active for a few years.
In 1883 Burnham and Morrill of Portland, Maine operated a lobster processing factory here, and fishing has been a major industry.
The population in 1956 was 127.
From the Nova Scotia Archives
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
164 Shiers Road
Harrigan Cove, NS Canada
B0J 2K0


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: Sunday

Hours of Operation: From: 8:00 AM To: 1:00 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.