1903 - Carter-Booker Building - Ardmore, Oklahoma
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member gparkes
N 34° 10.396 W 097° 07.693
14S E 672514 N 3782950
Quick Description: This building, constructed in 1903, replaced a Hotel that burned to the ground in 1889.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 4/11/2010 12:04:55 PM
Waymark Code: WM8JTT
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Team Sieni
Views: 4

Long Description:
At the site there is an interesting historic marker that speaks to the building's history:

Hotel Wisnor/Carter-Booker Building

The Hotel Wisnor, named in honor of Benjamin Wisnor Carter, prominent Chickasaw citizen, was built on this site in 1884 and was the first and finest establishment of its kind in Indian Territory. The three=story building of brick and stone had 50 rooms and was the first to advertise a room with bath, the bath tub and plumbing fixtures in full view in the corner of the room. Guests arriving by train were driven up Main Street to the hotel entrance on Springer Street (new Washington) in a magnificent stagecoach trimmed in bright red and yellow. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1889.

Patentees of the property and owners of the hotel were Benjamin Wisnor Carter’s son, Charles D. Carter, his widow Carter’s son, Charles D. Charter, his widow, Serena Guy Carter, and Solomon E. Jackson. After Jackson’s death, his interest was purchased by Deputy Marshal David E. Booker. In 1903 the Carter-Booker Building was erected at this location and provided offices for the Cotton Exchange as well as independent buyers. Many foreign agents came to this address to arrange for purchase and shipping of the prime commodity.

Charles D. Carter served as District Tree’s first representative to Congress after Oklahoma achieved statehood in 1907, a position he held until his death in 1929. He maintained his office and part-time residence in the Carter-Booker Building. Carter County, Carter Seminary and Carter Street are named for this pioneer family.

As soil depletion, oil production and ranching diminished the cotton market, occupants of the Carter-Booker Building changed in character although the Cotton Exchange maintained an office until after 1935 and the last cotton broker remained until 1963. With the advent of World War II, the upper story was converted to apartment space while varied retail businesses continued on the ground floor. In time, the building deteriorated and the upper story was abandoned.

In 1994 the Carter-Booker Building was purchased by Steve and Penny Wells and an extensive process of renovation was initiated to bring the old building back to bring the old building back to its original appearance with eight luxury apartments on the second floor and multiple-use facilities on the street level. Extensive restoration adhered as closely as possible to the original design. Every effort was made to incorporate existing architectural features and to utilize all salvageable components of the existing structure.

Year of construction: 1903

Cross-listed waymark: [Web Link]

Full inscription:
Carter & Booker 19 Block 03


Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
hamquilter visited 1903 - Carter-Booker Building - Ardmore, Oklahoma 9/1/2017 hamquilter visited it