Stained Glass Windows of St. Bernard Church - Akron, Ohio
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member buffalohiker
N 41° 04.686 W 081° 31.095
17T E 456465 N 4547556
Quick Description: St. Bernard Church, 240 S Broadway St, Akron, Ohio
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 12/29/2009 7:23:49 AM
Waymark Code: WM7ZHG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Norfolk12
Views: 1

Long Description:
On July 12, 1901, the parishioners of St Bernard Parish, pastor Father John Baptist Broun, and architect W. P. Ginther undertook construction of the current church building at the northwest corner of Broadway and State St. The structure was patterned after cathedrals in the Rhineland region of Europe. The cornerstone was set in place in June 1902. Over 7,000 people attended the occasion which included a huge parade. This magnificent church opened its doors on October 9, 1905.

The church is constructed of Devonian age Berea sandstone. Parishioners donated the stained-glass windows, imported from Germany. The statuary and altars in the church are comprised of Carrara marble quarried in the Apuan Alps of Italy.

The church was placed on the National Register on March 9, 1989. All of the widows underwent extensive cleaning in 1997.
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
240 S Broadway St
Akron, Ohio USA
44308


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: 7

Hours of Operation: From: 7:00 AM To: 9:00 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
buffalohiker visited Stained Glass Windows of St. Bernard Church - Akron, Ohio 12/25/2009 buffalohiker visited it