Church of St Mary the Virgin - Wistaston, Crewe, Cheshire East, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 53° 04.725 W 002° 28.646
30U E 535005 N 5881158
Quick Description: The Church of St Mary the Virgin churchyard cemetery is located on Church Lane in the village of Wistaston.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/22/2022 7:22:23 AM
Waymark Code: WM16R5Q
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member elyob
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Church of St Mary the Virgin is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the deanery of Nantwich.

The present church was built in 1827–28 to a design by George Latham. In 1884 the chancel was lengthened, and a transept was added and in 1905 further alterations were made. The building is Grade II listed.

The Grade II listed description given by Historic England can be seen in full at the following link: (visit link)

"St Mary's Church
There has been a church or chapel on or near the present site for nearly 700 years. The first record of a Rector goes back to 1379. The first church would have been a black & white building made of wood. Existing records start in 1572 probably resulting from Cromwell's edict that churches kept records. That first re-build took place probably on the site of our existing church and almost certainly did not alter until 1827. In that year the decision was taken that 'due to decay it was unsuitable for public worship'. It was also resolved to take down that building and erect a new church on the upper original site. The estimated cost of the new 'barn like building' was £1,038.The bricks used were quarried and made locally. The new church was consecrated in July 1828.The church wardens of the day were faced with High Court writs and threatened with loss of their property to meet the debts incurred though this was settled when the parish agreed to underwrite the costs. The next major alteration came 50 years later when the Chancel was extended, the Vestry and the South Transept was built with small pews for the children. The old north door was closed and a new entrance created at the west end of the church.The choir vestry was built in 1905 and a covered way linking the two was brought into use the next year. The church hall was erected near to the church in 1967.

In 2004 we completed a refurbishment programme in the church hall taking into consideration current disability legislation. We have also made improvements to the Church building.

In 2006 we refurbished the choir vestry by carrying out major modernisation to toilets, drainage, heating and catering needs and also to more easily accommodate disabled people.

In September 2008 new lighting was installed in the chancel and the interior of the nave, chancel and entrance porches were completely re-decorated with colours to give a light refreshing appearance. The bell ringing chamber and stairs were also redecorated and re-carpeted.

We are continuing to look for ways to improve our buldings to make them attractive and welcoming to visitors and congregation alike. We would like to improve access up the relatively steep entrance path to the north of the building but costs at present make this difficult.

All this is part of our continuing policy of improvement in our efforts to serve the people of our parish.

We meet for worship on Sundays at 10.40 a.m. Full details of our varied parish programme can be found on the page 'Worship at our churches'. We also offer a service of Holy Communion using the Book of Common Prayer every Wednesday morning at 10.00 a.m. All are welcome to join us at any time."
SOURCE: The Church website: (visit link)

The large churchyard contains the war graves of three soldiers and an airman of World War I, and three soldiers of World War II. Details can be seen at the following link: (visit link)

The churchyard also contains the local war memorial which is situated at the front of the church near to the road.
The memorial is in the form of a rough hewn celtic cross on tapered rectangular plinth. (visit link) (visit link)

(visit link)
City, Town, or Parish / State / Country: Wistaston, Crewe, Cheshire East

Approximate number of graves: 200+

Cemetery Status: Active

Cemetery Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Post an original, un-copywrited picture of the Cemetery into this Waymark gallery, along with any observations about the cemetery.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Worldwide Cemeteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.