Piscine Roger-Salengro - Bruay-la-Buissière (Pas-de-Calais), France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 50° 28.387 E 002° 32.507
31U E 467484 N 5591336
Quick Description: [FR] Il s'agit de la dernière piscine Art Déco encore ouverte à la baignade en France. [EN] This is the last Art Deco swimming pool in France still used for swimming.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 6/14/2021 10:29:55 PM
Waymark Code: WM14D5F
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
[FR] Le 15 février 1935, la construction d'une école de natation avec piscine de plein air est envisagée.

Le Front populaire est au pouvoir, la gauche veut donner plus de loisirs à la population, c’est donc dans ce contexte que la piscine est construite. À l'époque, la piscine s'appelait « école de natation », soulignant ainsi le souci pédagogique des maîtres d’ouvrage.

La piscine porte le nom de Roger Salengro, du nom du ministre de l'Intérieur de l'époque.

Elle se situe à proximité de la cité minière numéro 9. La construction s'est déroulée durant l'été 1936 par l'architecte bruaysien Paul Hanote (1879-1953). Elle permet aux visiteurs de profiter des loisirs mais aussi de l'architecture.

Située au cœur des corons, le complexe est rapidement investi par les habitants, qui goûtent pour la première fois aux congés payés : en famille ou entre amis, les mineurs, dont très peu savent nager, viennent y faire trempette ou prendre un bain de soleil.

Son architecture rappelle par son style paquebot les grands transatlantiques d'avant guerre.

L’architecte Paul Hanote se montre en effet, dans ce chantier, comme un tenant de l'art déco. Il y applique l'ensemble des principes fonctionnalistes mis alors en œuvre : monumentalisme, utilisation de matériaux modernes, attrait pour les surfaces planes, les lignes droites et la symétrie, etc. L'architecte conçoit l'édifice dans une approche fonctionnaliste et hygiéniste (la piscine est équipée de douches, de pédiluves et de cabines individuelles conformes aux règles hygiénistes de l'époque)

[EN] On February 15, 1935, the construction of a swimming school with an open air pool was envisaged.

The Popular Front was in power, and the left wanted to provide more leisure activities for the population. It's in this context that the pool was constructed. At the time, the pool was called a swimming school reflecting the concern of the municipality to teach the population how to swim.

The pool was named after Roger Salengro, the Interior Minister at the time.

It is situated in proximity to the Mining Community Number 9. The construction was carried out during the summer of 1936 by the architect Paul Hanote (1879-1953). It allowed visitor to benefit from leisure activity but also to admire the architecture.

Situation in the heart of the mining community, the complex was rapidly embraced by the inhabitants, who were experiencing paid vacation for the first time : families, or groups of friends, miners, who were not good swimmers, came to take a dip or bask in the sun.

The architecture reflects the post war "transatlantic ocean liner" style.

For this project, the architect Paul Hanote adhered to the Art Deco style. He applied the functionalist principles popular at that time : Monumentalism, use of modern materials, flat surfaces, straight lines and symmetry, etc. The architect designed the edifice with a functional and hygienic approach (the pool is equipped with showers, foot rinsing pools, individual changing stalls conforming to the rules of hygiene at the time)
Style: Art Deco

Structure Type: Culture/Entertainment

Architect: Paul Hanote

Date Built: 1936

Supporting references: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the building. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Art Deco - Art Nouveau
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.