Fire Service Training School - OSU - 1939 - Stillwater, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member hamquilter
N 36° 07.190 W 097° 03.929
14S E 674099 N 3998972
Quick Description: This fire station was built as a cooperative effort of the City of Stillwater, the State University (originally known as Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College), and the Public Works Administration (PWA).
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 10/9/2020 1:12:56 PM
Waymark Code: WM1387W
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
Views: 1

Long Description:
Located at the southeast corner of the Oklahoma State University campus at the intersection of W. University and Knoblock, this fire station was built in 1939 under the auspices of the Public Works Administration. WPA shields can be seen in the concrete areas around the building. The fire station is significant because it is the first fire facility associated with a university to offer an academic firefighting program.

The building was placed on the National Register in 2004. This is a three-story red brick building constructed in the Georgian Revival style. The main portion is square with a hipped roof, with 4 or 5 dormer windows in the roof level on each elevation. The ground floor has four overhead vehicle doors and contains the garage area. The upper floors contain classrooms, offices and sleeping quarters. Brick arches and keystones reflect the Georgian look. A limestone belt course encircles the building between the first and second floors, acting as a continuous sill for the second floors windows. At the rear of this section is a 7-story high brick tower. The bottom floors are square, changing to octagon between the 4th and 5th levels. Extending to the north is a two-story wing containing laboratories.

A bronze plaque on the front of the building reads:

Federal Works Agency
Public Works Administration
John M. Carmody
Federal Works Administrator
Franklin D. Roosevelt
President of the United States
---------
Fire Service Training School
1939

This is an extraordinarily eye-catching building which is still serving the campus and City of Stillwater as a fire station, and training center.

Year built or dedicated as indicated on the structure or plaque: 1939

Full Inscription (unless noted above): Not listed

Website (if available): Not listed

Visit Instructions:


Any log as a visit to a waymark will require a picture as proof that the person visited a particular dated architectural structure. Any posted visits not containing a picture in the log will risk being being deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.