Fort la Latte - Plevenon, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 48° 40.100 W 002° 17.090
30U E 552655 N 5390832
Quick Description: The superb Chateau de Fort la Latte. Le superbe Chateau de Fort la Latte.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 9/4/2020 6:28:51 AM
Waymark Code: WM132VT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:
En source Fort:
The History of La Roche Goyon (Fort La Latte)

La Roche Goyon takes its name from one of the oldest Breton families (called Gwion, Goion, Gouëon, Goyon and Gouyon). A legend attests that the first castle was built by a Goyon under Alain Barbe-Torte in 937.

The current castle, meanwhile, was started before the appearance of the cannon in Brittany (1364) and then continued at the mercy of the Goyons' good fortune in the second half of the 14th century.

It existed in 1379 since Du Guesclin sent a detachment to Roche Goyon which valiantly resisted. The fortress was confiscated for the benefit of Charles V, then returned to its owner by the Treaty of Guérande (1381).

During the 15th century, the social ascent of the Goyons continued. They appear in the States of Brittany. A Goyon, chamberlain of the Duke of Brittany, will marry the heiress of the barony of Thorigni-sur-Vire. The Goyon family left the Breton cradle and made history in France. The castle then receives a governor who lodges in a dwelling fitted out for this purpose.

During the reunion of Brittany with France (carried out during the treaty of 1532), it undergoes a new siege (1490), English this time, without success for the invaders.

The coup de grace was dealt to him by the League. Jacques II Goyon, Sire de Matignon, Marshal of France, Governor of Normandy and Guyenne, had sided with Henri IV. As a reprisal, in 1597, a delegate of the Duke of Mercoeur named Saint-Laurent, besieged and assaulted him. The castle already called at that time La Latte, was dismantled, looted, ravaged, set on fire. Only the dungeon resisted.

It was in a ruined castle that Sieur Garengeau was interested in fortifying the Côte for the defense of Saint-Malo. The castle was transformed accordingly with the agreement of the Matignon between 1690 and 1715. We owe it largely the aspect that we know it to.

In 1715, James Ill Stuart took refuge there and found the place sinister… It is true that he was stranded there one ugly November evening. The same year Louise-Hippolyte GrimaIdi (Princess of Monaco) married Jacques-François-Léonor Goyon, Sire de Matignon, who became Duke of Valentinois, on condition of taking the name and arms of the Grimaldi without adding his own.

In 1793, we built the furnace to redden the balls and we imprisoned some counter-revolutionary suspects. Young MaIouins stormed it, without success, during the Hundred Days (1815). It was his last warlike episode.

During the 19th century, it was gradually abandoned, it had only one keeper. Declassified in 1890 by the Ministry of War, it was sold by the Domains in 1892. It was largely in ruins when it was classified as a Historic Monument in 1925.

It has been restored since 1931 by the Joüon Des Longrais family and is open to visitors.

It has become one of the most visited castles in Brittany, after that of the Dukes of Brittany in Nantes!

Fr source Fort :
L'Histoire de La Roche Goyon (Fort La Latte)

La Roche Goyon tire son nom d’une des plus anciennes familles bretonnes (appelée Gwion, Goion, Gouëon, Goyon et Gouyon). Une légende atteste qu’un premier château aurait été construit par un Goyon sous Alain Barbe-Torte en 937.

Le château actuel, quant à lui, fut commencé avant l’apparition du canon en Bretagne (1364) puis poursuivi au gré de la bonne fortune des Goyon dans la deuxième moitié du XIVème siècle.

Il existait en 1379 puisque Du Guesclin envoya un détachement à la Roche Goyon qui résista vaillamment. La forteresse fut confisquée au profit de Charles V, puis restituée à son propriétaire par le traité de Guérande (1381).

Au cours du XVème siècle, l’ascension sociale des Goyon se poursuivit. Ils figurent aux États de Bretagne. Un Goyon, chambellan du duc de Bretagne, épousera l’héritière de la baronnie de Thorigni-sur-Vire. La famille Goyon quitte le berceau breton et passe à l’histoire de France. Le château reçoit alors un gouverneur qui loge dans un logis aménagé à cet effet.

Lors de la réunion de la Bretagne à la France (réalisé lors du traité de 1532), il subit un nouveau siège (1490), anglais cette fois, sans succès pour les envahisseurs.

Le coup de grâce lui fut porté par la Ligue. Jacques II Goyon, sire de Matignon, Maréchal de France, Gouverneur de Normandie et de Guyenne, avait pris le parti d’Henri IV. Par mesure de représailles, en 1597, un délégué du Duc de Mercoeur nommé Saint-Laurent, l’assiégea et l’assaillit. Le château déjà appelé à cette époque La Latte, fut démantelé, pillé, ravagé, incendié. Seul le donjon résista.

C’est à un château en ruine que s’intéressa le sieur Garengeau chargé de fortifier la Côte pour la défense de Saint-Malo. Le château fut transformé en conséquence avec l’accord des Matignon entre 1690 et 1715. On lui doit en grande partie l’aspect que nous lui connaissons.

En 1715, James Ill Stuart vint s’y réfugier et trouva le lieu sinistre… Il est vrai qu’il y échoua un vilain soir de novembre. La même année Louise-Hippolyte GrimaIdi (princesse de Monaco) épousait Jacques-François-Léonor Goyon, sire de Matignon, devenu duc de Valentinois, à condition de prendre le nom et les armes des Grimaldi sans y joindre les siens.

En 1793, on construisit le four à rougir les boulets et on emprisonna quelques suspects contre-révolutionnaires. De jeunes MaIouins le prirent d’assaut, sans succès, lors des Cent-Jours (1815). Ce fut son dernier épisode guerrier.

Au cours du XIXème siècle, il fut peu à peu abandonné, il n’eut plus qu’un seul gardien. Déclassé en 1890 par le ministère de la Guerre, il fut vendu par les Domaines en 1892. Il était en grande partie en ruines lorsqu’il fut classé Monument Historique en 1925.

Il est restauré depuis 1931 par la famille Joüon Des Longrais et ouvert à la visite.

?Il est devenu l'un des châteaux les plus visités en Bretagne, après celui des ducs de Bretagne à Nantes !

leFortlaLatte
Référence de la notice (from Merimee DB): PA00089157

Dénomination de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Fort

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Bretagne ; Côtes-d'Armor (22) ; Fréhel

Siècle de la campagne principale de construction (from Merimee DB): Moyen Age, 17e siècle

Précision sur la protection de l'édifice (from Merimee DB):
Fort : classement par décret du 11 août 1925 ; Terrains avoisinant le fort, pour leur partie délimitée par l'enclos (cad. B 161, 163 à 169, 171, 172, 174, 175, 151p, 152p, 155p, 157p, 162p, 182p, 183p) : classement par arrêté du 28 février 1934


Date de versement de la notice (Merimee DB): 8/11/1925

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Adresse de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.