St Oswald's Church - 642 to 2008 - Grasmere, Cumbria, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 54° 27.440 W 003° 01.421
30U E 498464 N 6034406
Quick Description: A timeline about St Oswald's located in the church in the village of Grasmere in the Lake District.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/24/2020 7:05:22 AM
Waymark Code: WM12GJ3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Bear and Ragged
Views: 2

Long Description:
St Oswald's is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Windermere, the archdeaconry of Westmorland and Furness, and the diocese of Carlisle. It is situated by the banks of the River Rothay in the centre of Grasmere village in the heart of the Lake District.
It is an historic place of worship, that has over 100,000 visitors each year.
St Oswald's Church is a Grade I listed building. The description given by Historic England can be seen at the following link: (visit link)

The church was founded in 642AD by St Oswald, a 7th Century Christian King of Northumberland, who is said to have preached on this site.

A timeline that gives information about the church from 642 to 2008 is mounted inside the church.

The information given on the timeline reads as follows;
" Story of St Oswald's Church
642 King Oswald establishes the first church in Grasmere
671 Grasmere comes under the first Diocese of Ripon
1090 The Diocese of York is created along the same boundaries as the
earlier diocese
1190 Gilbert Fitz Reinfred first patron
1250 Main nave, chancel, porch and tower constructed
1254 Henry de Galdington first recorded Rector
1396 The Great Abbey of St Mary's York becomes the patron
1490 Langdale nave added
1563 "Roofe taken down and made oope again"
1563 The patronage passes to the Le Fleming family
1663 Original box pews created, only the Le Fleming pew has survived
1710 Walls lime washed, (covering paintings) and text boards put up
1755 Oak altar ( presently the credence table) and altar rails
constructed
1840 Floor raised and aisles paved with stone
1851 Wordsworth memorial placed in chancel
1890 Present oak pews fitted
1938 East window and sanctuary restyled
2004 Langdale aisle remodelled an bookshop created
2008 Walls restored and lime washed, wood oiled, windows cleaned, new
curtains and carpet provided. "


Further renovations at the church have continued with the restoration of the tower in 2017 during which the clock was was cleaned, the clock faces redecorated and regilded and the lock winding mechanism was automated. (visit link)

The historic organ at the church is also in need of restoration which the church hope to complete in time for its centenary in 2023. (visit link)

Every year on the Saturday nearest St Oswald’s Day (5 Aug), Grasmere celebrates its Rushbearing Festival. This custom dates back to the days when the earthen floor of the church was strewn with rushes for warmth and cleanliness. The floor has been flagged since 1841, but the ceremony still continues.

The poet William Wordsworth is buried in the churchyard. He planted eight of the yew trees in the churchyard, one of them marking the grave of him and his wife Mary. His sister Dorothy, his children Dora, William, Thomas and Catherine, Mary’s sister Sara Hutchinson, and other members of the family are buried nearby.
There is also the grave of Hartley Coleridge, eldest son of Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
Admission fee? (Include URL/link in Long Description to website that gives the current fee): no

Visit Instructions:

At least one good photo you have personally obtained and a brief story of your visit. Any additions or corrections to the information about the Waymark (for instance, have the hours open to the public changed) will be greatly appreciated.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Timelines
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.